Prop and set up recommendations?

Hi fellas just joined the Ranger family with a new to me 2016 z519! First real bass boat for me and I’m doing my best to figure things out but has a couple questions. My boat has been repowered with a new Mercury pro xs 225 4stroke and when I purchased it It has a “quicksilver” 25p 3 blade prop on it. Searching the forums I’ve seen most guys are setting their PTP between 3 1/2 - 3 1/4” so I’m going to start there but I haven’t had a chance to measure it yet. My hole shot is great with just me in the boat but the prop seems to cavitate right as I get on plane and it seem like as I trim up the hull never really lifts up out of the water so just feels like the boat is pushing through the water rather then getting up on top. Again I am new to driving one of these so just hoping for some insight if it sounds like a prop thing or motor height thing? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    The cavitation may indicate the motor is a little high, any plugs in the prop vents? What RPM’s are you doing on break over? For me running a 119w/225 the three blade lacks lift with the tackle shop I carry. I went to a 4 blade and it brought the whole boat alive. Lots of that combination out there so I’m sure guys will chime in, seems like the 4 strokes like a little less pitch to get WOT RPM’s than the Mercury 2 strokes too.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Thanks for the response! The prop on there does not have any vents or plugs. Not sure on Rpms on break over but I will pay attention next time and post back. And I had a pretty minimal load in the front of the bot which made it even more surprising. It does have two graphs one a 112 ultrex on the front but I had maybe 40lbs of tackle and 8 rods in the front lockers. Also had just under 1/2 tank of fuel and it has been swapped to 36v so there are 4 lead acid (I believe) batteries on the back.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It sounds like that is an older prop, and very possibly not a good choice for that boat/motor combination. The factory stock prop for that hull with a new 4-stroke 225 is a Fury 3, which would have pvs vent holes. The stock prop is also a 23 pitch, which is important to produce optimal rpms with the gear ratio of the 4-stroke engines. It’s difficult [for me at least] to guess what setup would work for you with the prop you are running now.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Thanks jc2bg! I did find in doing a little research that the 23p fury 3 seems to be the standard on that motor but have also seen guys who have swapped over to other props. I guess just trying to convince myself that I’m not wrong in thinking I might need to replace the prop that’s on the boat currently.