Expride 7'7 Heavy

Has anyone ever used this rod? My local shop got a couple in last week. It's listed as mod. fast and the guys at the shop said the Shimano rep said it was more of a swimbait rod. Just curious as this is the first one I've seen...
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    I had one about 2 years ago. I used it for pitching/punching (1/2-1oz) and as an A-rig rod when I wasn't fishing grass. It performed well for both of those techniques.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Member
    Nick D - those techniques were exactly what I thought it might be good for. The action was very similar to my Powell Endurance 795 (I use it for A-rigs and punching) but it seemed to weigh less. I was considering another 795 but might get the Expride instead.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Nick D - those techniques were exactly what I thought it might be good for. The action was very similar to my Powell Endurance 795 (I use it for A-rigs and punching) but it seemed to weigh less. I was considering another 795 but might get the Expride instead.
    It was a great rod and super light weight. I regret selling it. It could easily do other things (deep water bottom contact / larger swimbaits / big top water).
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Not 100% sure if I have this right ,, but it seems like I remember the guys from Tactical Bassing were using this rod for big worms at one time

6. Member
    My buddy recently brought one specifically for smaller glide baits. Said it was a big mistake as its too soft/underpowered for this application.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    My buddy recently brought one specifically for smaller glide baits. Said it was a big mistake as its too soft/underpowered for this application.
    Really? I've used my Endurance 795 to throw around an S-Waver 168 and it did fine. I know the two rods are different (Endurance and Expride) but they felt very similar. I suppose that's how I always end up selling mulitple rods each year...until you put a reel and lures on there you can't really tell how it would behave.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Really? I've used my Endurance 795 to throw around an S-Waver 168 and it did fine. I know the two rods are different (Endurance and Expride) but they felt very similar. I suppose that's how I always end up selling mulitple rods each year...until you put a reel and lures on there you can't really tell how it would behave.
    I should clarify, when I say smaller glides I’m talking 7-8” in the 2-3oz range. It may handle the 168 just fine.Again,I personally have no experience with the rod. Just going by what he told me