Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    Not an expert on muslim religion...But I have read that in true muslim marriages that the husband or the husbands family forces the wife into the muslim faith. If it comes to fruition I hope the best for all concerned.
    Many religions require that, not all are followed.

My sister (Christian) married a Jewish guy. Now, we are from a very small, rural, town in Tennessee. Small as in like 500 people, not a stop light within 20 miles and still the same today. Initially my parents weren’t exactly thrilled but didn’t make too big of a deal out of it either. Long story short after about 15 years they got divorced but I don’t really think their religion was the main reason I also don’t think it helped any either. They always celebrated both Hanukkah and Christmas. My parents always treated him like family from day one and my mom still loves him and talks to him years after their divorce.

I don’t know enough about Muslims to know how they’d compare to Christians. My sister had a Christian pastor and they had a rabbi also proceed over their wedding. I’m not sure if that’s an option with Muslims. I do think both sides will have to give a little to be successful but that’s with just about any marriage but in this case probably more so. Personally, I’d have a long talk with her, it’s your daughter. As you know it’s ultimately her decision but it’s your daughter and I would he open and have a discussion. Best of luck no matter what, it’s a tough place to be in as a parent and I’d have concerns also.

3. Member
    Just depends on how strongly each feel about their religious believes. I've seen it happen with just being different denominations.

4. Member
    Common sense says one person will have to convert their religion for it to work or a tough bumpy road will exist in the future especially when difficult situations arise and religion comes into play.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Common sense will says one person will have to convert their religion for it to work or a tough bumpy road will exist in the future especially when difficult situations arise and religion comes into play.
    No several mixed religion marriages, some have kids. Not a single one has converted...
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

6. Member
    As a father of two girls , this is the one that I could not deal with and so far I have not had to.

I am not a religious person at all so this point of view is not rooted in that, it is simply that that religion requires the woman to submit and she basically loses her previous identity and for lack of a better word is brainwashed into a world that centers around men and male dominance.

You guys can flame me as a racist, or a bigot all you want but this would destroy my relationship with my child.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltman View Post
    As a father of two girls , this is the one that I could not deal with and so far I have not had to.

I am not a religious person at all so this point of view is not rooted in that, it is simply that that religion requires the woman to submit and she basically loses her previous identity and for lack of a better word is brainwashed into a world that centers around men and male dominance.

You guys can flame me as a racist, or a bigot all you want but this would destroy my relationship with my child.
    Doesn't have to be religion for some!

I got engaged to a Italian girl, being German Irish. When I had the conversation with the father, he was not too happy. He made sure the daughter knew his desires were to marry Italian. Note, he was in the Mob. We got disengaged. She ended up marrying a Irish guy, and he pretty much disowned her.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    No several mixed religion marriages, some have kids. Not a single one has converted...
    Muslim and Christian or Christian and Jewish? Big difference.

All religions require this.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

10. Member
    Some of you guys I wonder about. I'm Catholic. I remember my neighbor who use to tell me if you wet your finger and touch a Methodist church it will sizzle and you will go straight to hell.

I married a Methodist and there was not a single Catholic Church in the town. In fact the nearest was 10 miles. I had this lady come up to me and tell me it was not right for me to come into the area and marry my wife. She said I should stick to my own. This was 1985.

Some times religion just sucks. We go to church then want to burn the other guys church to the ground. This makes a hell of a great case for why religion is accommodating.

I laugh how we stereotype the Muslim religion. Zealots are zealots from any religion. To disown someone over religion. Look in the mirror and you will see crazy.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

11. Member

I listened to a female caller on the Dave Ramsey show the other day talk about being a good Christian wife and being submissive to her husband but wanted to know what to do about their finances. .....Also being the father of two daughters it made my skin crawl hearing this young lady basically thinking she has to apologize for trying to steer her family out of debt..
    So it can happen anywhere....The best way to keep your daughters from having to submit to any man is to raise them to be independent and self sufficient....A good education is a great start....and treat your wife like a queen because they are watching..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 09-20-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Time will tell. The biggest problem is you. If you cannot accept the marriage you will have life long problems.

Now I hate to break it to you I can't think of a single issue.
    I can think of a million possible issues and none of them work out in his daughter's favor.

13. Member
    It’s more about cultural differences then religion.
    I have many Muslim friends who are incredible husbands and fathers.
    Some are more strict in their following of their religion, some hang out and drink at the bar and would not know they are Muslim. Depends on the person.

It depends on how he feels about adjusting to your culture and you his. It goes both ways.
    Hell, I have seen bigger issues with an Italian guy wanting to date a Jewish girl. It’s all about culture differences.

Talk to her. Tell her your concerns, and you love her know matter her life choices.

Don
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 09-20-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

14. Member
    I watched this happen to someone who worked with my wife and I years ago. Her husband was devout Muslim and took two children one day and settled somewhere like Syria. She has never seen her children from that marriage again.

That being said. I have to agree with FX20. As a Christian, my biggest daily struggle is not judging other humans when I should want to love and help others.

Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    All religions require this.
    No they don't, as usual, you're wrong.

For most people the only reason they are of a particular religion is because their parents were and that’s how they were raised. I know marriage is hard enough as it is and completely different religions can definitely affect the marriage and add conflict. But, I also know it can work out also. I guess my biggest concern would be if the Muslim would require the wife to convert, then I would have an issue with it. Some people are whatever religion they choose or more like it was chosen for them but I’ve never seen them actually in a church, synagogue, etc. a day in their life.

All religions can be crazy. Heck, the church I grew up in as a small kid in Tennessee had more drama than any church I’ve ever seen. The members were all divided over crazy stuff and the very small church actually split up, half the members left and built a new church less than a mile away. This was in a church of maybe 100 members, crazy.

17. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Muslim and Christian or Christian and Jewish? Big difference.
    both
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    both
    Then maybe one or the other or both are not deep followers of their religions.

https://www.answering-islam.org/Auth...d_marriage.htm

19. Member
    This situation comes up regularly and has since the beginning of times. Nothing new. My experience being married to a Christian of a different denomination did not work out. That particular difference was a big factor. I thought it would be manageable but I was wrong. That wasn’t the only difference but it became a wedge.

With that said I can interact freely with people of most all belief systems even though I don’t claim any particular one for myself. So many believe it’s my way or the hiway. At that point I’m out.

IF , and that’s a BIG IF, there is a God, I don’t need a formal dogma, ritual or practice to develop this relationship with the hoped for Supreme Being. I try to live each day trying to be mindful of what I can do right here in this life that is good. To each there own.

I hope your daughter fares well.
    GETFISHED !!!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    Not an expert on muslim religion...But I have read that in true muslim marriages that the husband or the husbands family forces the wife into the muslim faith. If it comes to fruition I hope the best for all concerned.
    "Forces"? Really? I don't think so. Assuming this is true, if she chooses to marry the guy, then she has chosen the Muslim faith also. You make it sound like they acquired the woman somehow and then make her do it against her will.

Back to the OP question: my stepsister is Christian and she married a Buddist. Before they had kids, they agreed that kids would be be raised Buddist so that seems simple enough. They just had their 2nd child so I assume it's going OK. First kid seems happy and not yet condemned to a firey he11.

There are a lot of stories about mixed religion families traveling back to the Middle East for vacation or to visit relatives and then husband slams the door on her because women have far fewer legal rights there. Maybe she's allowed to leave but the kids stay behind , etc. That seems like a legit concern.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast