Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    TJNYSNP

Christian daughter very serious about a Muslim guy

Anyone worked thru this a parent or are such an arrangement in marriage. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and is good to my daughter but behind that will there be a situation where u need to go thru any tough spots should forward with he having kids and raising them as Christian ? His parents appear to be fairly religious. His sister even married a man from their Middle East Arab community of family even thought he and his sisters were born in US. Both my wife's family and my family are Christian and I just have difficulty in seeing kids have a good path if these two very different religions are mixed into kids. Anyone have this situation? Just trying to keep my calm and not react.

She’s living with the guy and just met him 6 weeks ago in his house. She’s a great daughter but moves very fast with relationships and this one seems like it’s gonna lock in. She’s mid 20s, college educated with a great job and future ahead of her.

I have no Ill will to any religion but I don’t see raising kids Christian if the father and family are practicing Muslim.

I feel strongly based on my life that even if you don't 'feel' religion is important that ever person needs to be grounded in one God they follow and pray to when they need help in tough times.... Hence my inquiry from those out there who are fathers or people that are living this mixed religion situation.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Not your decision. It is their decision to make when/if the time comes.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    So she's living with the guy after only knowing him for 6 weeks? That's a bit quick.

4. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    So she's living with the guy after only knowing him for 6 weeks? That's a bit quick.
    Yes, we never saw her move so fast with someone. I know its her decision and all that stuff ... this thread is "does anyone have this situation and how did it work out and 'work'" for both families. Not getting flamed about "its not your decision"... i get that bdog.

5. Member
    Not your decision
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    Anyone worked thru this a parent or are such an arrangement in marriage. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and is good to my daughter but behind that will there be a situation where u need to go thru any tough spots should forward with he having kids and raising them as Christian ? His parents appear to be fairly religious. His sister even married a man from their Middle East Arab community of family even thought he and his sisters were born in US. Both my wife's family and my family are Christian and I just have difficulty in seeing kids have a good path if these two very different religions are mixed into kids. Anyone have this situation? Just trying to keep my calm and not react.

She’s living with the guy and just met him 6 weeks ago in his house. She’s a great daughter but moves very fast with relationships and this one seems like it’s gonna lock in. She’s mid 20s, college educated with a great job and future ahead of her.

I have no Ill will to any religion but I don’t see raising kids Christian if the father and family are practicing Muslim.

I feel strongly based on my life that even if you don't 'feel' religion is important that ever person needs to be grounded in one God they follow and pray to when they need help in tough times.... Hence my inquiry from those out there who are fathers or people that are living this mixed religion situation.
    Good to see we’ve moved beyond mixed race relations drama.
    How have Jewish and Christian marriages ever survived?
    Just be glad they practice something.

It’s important for the family to support the children in a decision like this, how the H-E-Double Hockeysticks are you guaranteed to be there to throw it into the child’s face when it goes to dog turds.

8. Member

That's a tough one for parents, just as any marriage where the man and wife are from different races, religions, etc. It's a personal decision for them and all you can do is hope for the best because if you try to object she will just get more determined. IMO, I don't think any marriage based on a 6 week relationship is going to work.

I didn't see where he asked about a decision?? All I saw was asking advice about how to respond to her decision. Big difference in my .02

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Not your decision. It is their decision to make when/if the time comes.

10. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Yes, we never saw her move so fast with someone. I know its her decision and all that stuff ... this thread is "does anyone have this situation and how did it work out and 'work'" for both families. Not getting flamed about "its not your decision"... i get that bdog.
    The answer for "how did it work out and work for both families" is going to range from disaster to great. Basically like every other relationship.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

While I understand your concerns, the best thing to do is support them and welcome the young man into your family. Voicing concerns can have a long-term, negative effect. As time goes on there will be a time to ask your daughter some questions as a concerned father but I would definitely wait for the right moment. Good luck.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. In your mind you already have them getting married and having children. It's been 6 weeks. Things have a way of working themselves out. Don't worry about things that you have no control over.

13. Member
    Time will tell. The biggest problem is you. If you cannot accept the marriage you will have life long problems.

Now I hate to break it to you I can't think of a single issue.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

14. Banned
    nice guy and is good to my daughter
    Only part that should matter to you!

15. Member
    Have a 1 on 1 with your daughter. Be supporting and loving but show sincere concern for her and potential future family. It’s about her, not you. Plant seeds and stay supportive and always loving no matter what she says or does. Not sure whether either of you are in your faith and walk with Christ but there is scripture you can use. I wouldn’t go throwing scripture unless it’s part of historical dialogue.

16. Member
    I have a Muslim friend who met his wife when she was on a Christian missionary trip to the Middle East. Her family sends her over there to convert people or whatever happens on missionary trips. Her parents live here in the same town as me and are very religious. They were devastated when she told him she was marrying this long-bearded Muslim. Begged the man to leave her, offered him money to walk away and then finally just cut ties with her and said she and her new husband were not welcome in their home. Well, flash forward a few years, and the kids have a baby. Daughter’s mother couldn’t stand not seeing the child so they started a slow reconciliation.

My wife and I were invited to the husband’s graduation party a few years ago, and I was able to observe them all together as a family. The 2-year-old child never left the arms of the daughter’s mother and father. The child was calling them by the Arabic words for grandmother and grandfather—they loved it. The husband told me that the wife’s parents were getting along great with him now that they had gotten to know him.

I type all this to say don’t fret that it will all go sideways. Or at least any more sideways than any other marriage. In the end, I just wanted to give you an example of a similar situation where it seems to be working —in Texas to boot.

17. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    The answer for "how did it work out and work for both families" is going to range from disaster to great. Basically like every other relationship.
    Perfect answer and truthful

Dale Sinclair original

18. Member
    Some of the most humble and kind people I know are Muslim. In all reality, they believe in the same god as we Christians do, and just as Jews do. The jewish Believe in the Old Testament only. Christians believe the Old Testament is in reference and gives a chronological line the existence of Jesus and New Testament defines the faith., Islam believes in the same god and Jesus but believes Jesus was a prophet (just like Elijah), and adds in Muhammad as a prophet.

it is difficult to manage. Just have to pray that she maintains her Christian faith. But as others have said, there’s nothing you can do but support her.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

My best friend knocked up a Muslim girl. Her dad is from Chechnya and her mom was from London. Her mom was Christian and had to go through a process to become Muslim to marry. My friend also had to become Muslim to marry his girlfriend. She picks and chooses what she is strict with for her religion. They are divorced now but their son isn’t allowed any pork, can’t have animal toys or stuffed animals, can’t get vaccinated, can’t go to dr until something gets real bad etc. they have Christmas and Easter at his house and not at his moms obviously. Funny thing is she now lives with a Jewish guy so I guess she can make it work with anyone.

my friend has came back to Christianity. It’s interesting hearing from someone who’s been on both sides. A lot of stuff from Islam and Christianity agree with each other, more than we think, but the stuff that differs is really different. He knows some Arabic now and some prayers. He used to go to the mosque a lot and he’s talked about how antifa type students from the big university here would come in and try to recruit young Muslim guys to go out and ‘fight’ but none of them wanted anything to do with them.

20. Member
    Not an expert on muslim religion...But I have read that in true muslim marriages that the husband or the husbands family forces the wife into the muslim faith. If it comes to fruition I hope the best for all concerned.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast