Z20 Bilge / Hull - Leaking water

Thought I'd try this on the Nitro side. I was out last weekend and the bracket for my PP broke free on the port side . It was tucked away in the rear (port side) near the rear wall of the transom. I moved the holes up about and when I drilled a small pilot hole one of the holes started to seep a small amount of water. I left it last weekend and no noticeable water while it sat all week.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what's back there that could potentially hold water. I'm worried I got an issue going on in the hull but on the other hand it's not much water and I'm just OCD. We fished all day today and I kept an eye on it. Not much throughout the day. Maybe a cup or so sloshing around in that area.Got it home and it started to weep again. Should I seal it with MarineTex and call it good.

Anyone got any ideas ?

2. Member
    Have pics?

Yes, show a pic of what you are describing....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

4. Member
    The pilot hole I drilled is circled in yellow, the only one of the three that is still leaking. I sealed up two because a drop never came out of either one. After the boat sat all day you can see a small amount of water in that far corner on the right.

Any help is appreciated guys. Really appreciate it.

[IMG][/IMG

5. Member
    If you drilled a fairly shallow pilot hole and immediately noticed small amounts of water, could be just water that got caught between the liner and the hull. But I’m no expert. I’d have it checked out ASAP and hope it’s a simple fix and not what I shall not speak into the universe

Well I have a z8, I re-arranged my batteries when getting lithium's. I had some water/hydraulic fluid come out on the drill bit in that area.

I am positive it is from the screw holes not being correctly sealed and then water getting trapped on the outside of the knee brace, it would slowly soak in when in the rain or if you wash the deck coming off plane. And I would always get mine dry working a day in the garage. But I think nitro should be drilling and putting a drain tube through the knee brace so that whenever your fishing the random listing from side to side drains it as these boats sit low in the rear it traps some. And or add a lip to the battery box hatch that at least brings the water to the middle of the box rather then just letting it in all over.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

any hole should be silconed before securing with a screw.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    any hole should be silconed before securing with a screw.
    I have seen alot of very poor rigging done and not many techs that work for dealers seem to know that any holes thru otherwise sealed compartments should be filled with sealant before a screw goes in
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    Talked to the local dealer and they didn't seem to concerned when I showed them the same pics. They suggested I seal it up and call it good.

I'm also going to seal up the rub rail and make sure there aren't any loose screws. My best guess is the water is getting in from the transom (backsplash) or its coming from the cap and working it's way into that area.

Back wash.