Thread: Why champion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why champion?

I own another manufacturers boat and I have not been in a champion. I know people love their champions. What is it that makes champions so popular?

2. Member
    The best riding bassboat ever made. They look darn good also.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ride and Decide.

4. Pat Goff
    Until you experience the ride and handling, they are just another shiny boat.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Reading this sticky is a good place to start....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=59135

6. Member
    I like the way my cabinets open and close. No clunky expensive hardware to stub your toe or burn your feet. There is a reason why Bass Cat and Charger are using a couple Champion hulls.
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I like the way my cabinets open and close. No clunky expensive hardware to stub your toe or burn your feet. There is a reason why Bass Cat and Charger are using a couple Champion hulls.

which bass cat boats are the same molds as the champion ?

8. Banned
    Puma/couger 203 hybrid

I first rode in a Champ in a 1980, V hull with a 150 Merc. And it took me 24 years later before I got mine and never looked back. I just wish it had a 175 on the back..

untitled (9).png

Quote Originally Posted by Almag6 View Post
    Puma/couger 203 hybrid

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    And then Charger is building a 198, 210 and has a 203 in the works.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 09-20-2021 at 09:26 AM.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Untill you research and understand what a true v hull does and why it does it every other manufacturer can tell you how good their boats ride etc. ...well until that windy ass day and than most run home .

13. Moderator
    The narrow beam boats rode the best. But they lacked everything else. Storage was dismal, fishability was the worst boat out there it seemed. Tippy, the boat would blow around in the wind like an empty pop can on the surface of the water. They do ride and handle well. Overall, they are over rated IMO. The 198 does have a huge soft spot in my heart though and if I came across the right one (hint hint, you know who you are) I'd buy it immediately.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I had two of the earlier Champs. A 176 and a 187. The 176 had an 86” beam and the 187 had a 90” beam. Both had excellent rides due to the ability to slice thru the water easily, but the 176 could be called a tad tippy….tho easy enuf to get used to. It was my first glass bass boat. The 187 was a really fun boat. Not as tippy and still the great ride.

MY 198 with 95” beam, is the best of all worlds for me…(..tho not quite as fast as Randy’s 198 was..) A great fishing platform, and a great ride!

Ride and Decide is a logo that fits Champion perfectly!
    Last edited by Lea; 09-20-2021 at 04:30 PM.

15. Member
    I see your in Ohio. If you fish the big lake a Champion would be right at home when many would not even attempt to go out. You will notice this Champion page has a ton of members, same goes on Facebook. If you know you know, if not your missing out.

16. Member
    Honestly, I've been in a few boats, own a Champion. Only reason I'd consider keeping the champion line, is to fish the champion owners tournaments. On mine at least, the storage sucks, there isn't a lot of room, it's fairly tippy, but it does ride good. Does it ride that much better than competitors? I'm not sure. It rides better than any Nitro. But the couple Phoenix and Basscat (non 203 hybrids) I've been in ride just as well and have way better organization. I figure, my next (probably last) boat will be one of the 3 current champion hulls (Charger 198, 210 or cat 203) or a Phoenix (919 or 920). Only reasons I wouldn't go Phoenix would be the Charger tournament and price.
    I personally don't see the reason for the cult-like following.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

I had a 97 Champion 202 for 18 years. I loved that boat, i made the switch this spring and im liking the new one more and more each time out. I dont miss my old boat at all actually, lots of good memories though!!

18. Member
    I fished over 50 tournaments as an amateur between 2000 and 2010. This means I've been in almost every version of tournament loaded bass boat. They really are all good. I've found the bigger the better. Some like Allison are super fast but so light they shudder if you hit a wave at 10 or 2 o'clock. I didn't like it. The heavy Rangers 21' and 22' are very close to a Champ but not as stable at 70+. Nitro was solid but slow out of the hole. Triton and Bass Cat really nice. Still none of them had the solid feel and speed of my 221 Champion. It jumps out of the hole. Cruises effortlessly. On plane it feels like it drives itself ....... and such a solid solid presence on the water. The one thing I'd say where they are not the best is they fish a little high when using the trolling motor. I solved that by always bringing my dog who stays in front and licks every fish I catch. Mine is a 98 221 Dc Elite. I bought it in 2003. Never one problem. Prior to that I had a Glastron Bass boat back when they made them. I had a Ranger. Then I bought a 2 yr old Champ 186 which was great but not the best boat I had ever been in. The 221 is the best for me of any of them. I just put new seats in it a few weeks ago. I'll repower when I get the "any V6" issue resolved. I'll have it rebuilt if I have to but I won't sell or trade it. Any way, that's the long winded version of "you won't know until drive one".

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    The narrow beam boats rode the best. But they lacked everything else. Storage was dismal, fishability was the worst boat out there it seemed. Tippy, the boat would blow around in the wind like an empty pop can on the surface of the water. They do ride and handle well. Overall, they are over rated IMO. The 198 does have a huge soft spot in my heart though and if I came across the right one (hint hint, you know who you are) I'd buy it immediately.
    Funny... I'm holding on for now...

20. Member
    Over rated? They beat any Ranger I ever fished out of!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast