Starting Battery weak

I have a starting battery that’s going on it’s second season of use. I only fish weekends mainly one sometimes both days. I got everything wired to it, motor, 2 lowrance lives, misc electronics (don’t ever use bilge or live well), power pole pumps, jack plate. Everything except for the trolling motor. Starting last week it’s running out of juice to start my motor so I’ve been having to hook up my jump pack. Never had an issue prior. I checked the water level and it’s full. When it’s charging it almost sounds like it’s boiling a little bit. It’s a group 24 do you think it’s undersized to handle all that? Jump pack with built in voltmeter says it’s like 11.9v right before I jump it.

something I also noticed was that my trolling motor batteries charge at ~14.14v while my starting battery charges at like 13.5v. Bad charger? It’s a regular minn Kota 3 bank charger.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What outboard? Chances are the group 24 is way too small, but you’ll want to check the battery and the outboard charging system.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What outboard? Chances are the group 24 is way too small, but you’ll want to check the battery and the outboard charging system.

i got a Mercury pro xs 115 four stroke. Not sure if it has onboard charging

4. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Go to a group 31 problem solved
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

I have a 2021 Vexus 1880 with the 115 Mercury. That 24 series waaaay undersized for needs.
    The wet cell battery’s that came with my boat have been marginal at best. 27 series for the starting battery and 31 series for the TM. I just replaced them all with 31 series AGM’s.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    A group 24 to have enough cranking amps to start the outboard likely was a compromise by design and does not have the reserve needed to supply the load that you have on it. I had a similar problem with the battery that came with my boat. It was fine for the engine but not for the electronics draw. It only lasted 6 months after installing multiple depth finders. I went to a group 31 with a good reserve rating and have not had any issues for several years.

7. Member
    What’s a good starting battery group 31? Don’t really want to upgrade my charger so I don’t think I want to go agm or lithium. I already have the Walmart deep cycle group 29 for my trolling motor. Is there a starting battery out there that’s taller? Not sure how I’m going to squeeze one in.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    What’s a good starting battery group 31? Don’t really want to upgrade my charger so I don’t think I want to go agm or lithium. I already have the Walmart deep cycle group 29 for my trolling motor. Is there a starting battery out there that’s taller? Not sure how I’m going to squeeze one in.
    For your outboard, you need an AGM.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    For your outboard, you need an AGM.
    Can anyone confirm my charger Minn Kota MK 315D is good for AGM batteries? From a quick check it looks fine. It’s an older one

Which ones do you recommend that won’t break the bank? I don’t mind spending a little bit more. More just concerned about room. My battery compartment is pretty full.
    Last edited by Fish0093; 09-19-2021 at 08:55 PM.

10. Member
    AGM's are nice and if you can afford, certainly the way to go, but if not in the budget, we have been running wet cell, lead acid batteries for at least 50 years now. Most boats still are.

A good group 27 or larger will serve you well. My new Skeeter came rigged with 4 - group 27's. Three deep cycles for the TM, one cranking battery. I'm on second year with no issues. If I get three out of the TM batteries, I'll be happy. I expect at least twice that for the crank battery. They are Interstates. Not my preferred brand, but I'll run them until they quit, then most likely, I'll go to WalMart or Sam's Club and buy more. IMHO, it's hard to find a more cost effective battery

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Can anyone confirm my charger Minn Kota MK 315D is good for AGM batteries? From a quick check it looks fine. It’s an older one

Which ones do you recommend that won’t break the bank? I don’t mind spending a little bit more. More just concerned about room. My battery compartment is pretty full.
    Duracell 31 AGM from Sam's.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Banned

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...cGUxZyUzRCUzRA..

It works fine on AGM batteries.. Check Page 15 in above link under "Operating Instructions"-- "Overview"

13. Member
    If I went with a group 24 agm starting battery would that be better than just a regular group 24? What's a good one I can get locally that won't cost a fortune? I'm not sure I want to get into rearranging my entire battery compartment plus moving power pole pumps until the winter if I were to tackle it. For some reason my lund renegade battery compartment is small I have a hard time getting the starting battery out with my power pole pumps in the way. I may do a lithium battery just for electronics in the future... Not sure.

14. Banned
    If I went with a group 24 agm starting battery would that be better than just a regular group 24? What's a good one I can get locally that won't cost a fortune? I'm not sure I want to get into rearranging my entire battery compartment plus moving power pole pumps until the winter if I were to tackle it. For some reason my lund renegade battery compartment is small I have a hard time getting the starting battery out with my power pole pumps in the way. I may do a lithium battery just for electronics in the future... Not sure.
    Probably not..

Listen to CatFan.

Go with a 34 for cranking. They are the same size as a 24 and have more available juice in AGM when you are comparing apples for apples 24/34 AGM's.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Go with a 34 for cranking. They are the same size as a 24 and have more available juice in AGM when you are comparing apples for apples 24/34 AGM's.
    A 34 is smaller than a 24. 1” shorter and the same width and height.
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Like the 24 series, the 34 has a Reserve Capacity that is way too small. In fact, the Northstar 34 and Odyssey 34 , two of the best AGM's around, both have a meager RC of around 135 minutes. Crank batteries in a bass boat application need a decent RC.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Banned
    I use one of these and it works great with all my electronics, power pole and live well, I can run everything all day and still crank the motor. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...p30/11968148-P

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Like the 24 series, the 34 has a Reserve Capacity that is way too small. In fact, the Northstar 34 and Odyssey 34 , two of the best AGM's around, both have a meager RC of around 135 minutes. Crank batteries in a bass boat application need a decent RC.
    Well if it's for a giant motor 150+ I'd say they are too small for sure. For my 60 HP with a hydro jack plate, tilt and trim function, two Garmins with side scanning/ down scanning sonar and Panoptix all on the same battery (initially) the 34 X2Power AGM has been fine for me. I eventually moved all the electronics to a different battery so that's no longer an issue for me.

I didn't realize it was for a big boat.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 09-29-2021 at 11:00 PM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    Go to a group 31 problem solved