1999 Ranger Trail Dual Axle - Tires Hitting Inner Fender - Need some advice

Posted this over in trailers section also, but may get more looks here.

I replaced my leaf springs, shackles, bolts etc. almost three years ago (November 2018). I thought I would be good on those parts for a while. Got the springs straight from Ranger. They are four leaves. The boat is a 1999 492 VS, so a heavy boat and I have 4 29 series batteries to run the 36 volt trolling motor and the house battery for starting and electronics. I just assumed the springs Ranger sold me would do the job, but apparently not. They were an exact fit for what I had.

Doing some bearing maintenance today and noticed all four tires are hitting the inner fender wall. They aren't rubbing all the time, just over bumps, potholes, etc. The rear driver side tire is the worst (see photo). There is only about 3/8 in clearance between the tire and the inner fender on the rear tires. Anyone know what weight rating these springs are? The trailer plate says 4600 GVWR and 2300 GVWR front. I am wondering if heavier springs will give me a little more lift, or less sag, but don't even know what the ones I have are rated at. Just a little confused on what to order.

I also went to a D rated GY Endurance tire and wondered if that tire was slightly taller and added to this issue. Originals were C rated GY Marathons.

Also see these wet bolt/equilizer kits out there that Dexter sells and would spend the money on those, but I don't see a kit for a 25 1/2 inch on center spring. My trailer is back to where it was three years ago as far as noise. I believe the bushing are already shot. The parts we get these days aren't the quality they used to be.

Looking for some advice to get this fixed before I blow a tire. I have several long trips planned for this fall. Last thing I need is to get stuck on the side of the road.

IMG_45281.jpgIMG_45341.jpg

2. Member
    It sounds like you might have too tall of a tire on it. Should be 205/75/R14 if it has original rims on it. You could get smaller tires or shorter spring hangers. The hangers are the flat metal pieces that connect the springs to the frame or equalizer. It seems counter intuitive but shorter hangers will raise the trailer.

3. Member
    ST215 75R14 is what I have. I believe that was the original tire size, but can't say 100 percent for sure. I have had the boat since 2002, and never had the tires rub before.

Time to get a new Ranger boat!!!!!!!!
    Ranger Forever

5. Member
    I had the same problem on a 99 single axle. I found out that after I took the springs to a shop that specializes in leaf springs that the springs were underrated for the load. Regardless as to what was printed om the springs itself. I purchased a set from the shop a little more heavy duty by adding a extra leaf and had no more problems after that. I do suggest that you find a spring shop in your area and take a set to them and pick there brains. Good luck!!