1999 Ranger Trail Dual Axle - Tires Hitting Inner Fender - Need some advice

I replaced my leaf springs, shackles, bolts etc. almost three years ago (November 2018). I thought I would be good on those parts for a while. Got the springs straight from Ranger. They are four leaves. The boat is a 1999 492 VS, so a heavy boat and I have 4 29 series batteries to run the 36 volt trolling motor and the house battery for starting and electronics. I just assumed the springs Ranger sold me would do the job, but apparently not. They were an exact fit for what I had.

Doing some bearing maintenance today and noticed all four tires are hitting the inner fender wall. They aren't rubbing all the time, just over bumps, potholes, etc. The rear driver side tire is the worst (see photo). There is only about 3/8 in clearance between the tire and the inner fender on the rear tires. Anyone know what weight rating these springs are? The trailer plate says 4600 GVWR and 2300 GVWR front. I am wondering if heavier springs will give me a little more lift, or less sag, but don't even know what the ones I have are rated at. Just a little confused on what to order.

I also went to a D rated GY Endurance tire and wondered if that tire was slightly taller and added to this issue. Originals were C rated GY Marathons.

Also see these wet bolt/equilizer kits out there that Dexter sells and would spend the money on those, but I don't see a kit for a 25 1/2 inch on center spring. My trailer is back to where it was three years ago as far as noise. I believe the bushing are already shot. The parts we get these days aren't the quality they used to be.

Looking for some advice to get this fixed before I blow a tire. I have several long trips planned for this fall. Last thing I need is to get stuck on the side of the road.

IMG_45281.jpgIMG_45341.jpg

2. Member
    If you have a shop that makes leaf springs close to you, tow your boat over there to have them look and advise.
    Maybe only need one more leaf installed.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What size tires are on it? Factory wheels?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Yes, we have Magnum trailers here but would want to do it myself. Changing these is easy. Getting the right parts is the hard part.

I see here that they have a 1750 and 2400 pound leaf spring 25 1/4. https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...ngs_c_538.html Going to take the one spring off tomorrow to measure.

5. Member
    Yes, factory wheels. On the placard says 14 x 6. Guessing 14 inch, 6 bolt. Believe tires are ST215 75R14. All the same as when I got the boat in 2002.

Simplest thing would be to add a leaf or put a spacer on axle.

7. Member
    Question ...... your trailer is level when hitched up to your truck/SUV, and NOT tongue high, correct????

I ask since you said it is your rear axle tires that are rubbing.

If pretty much perfectly level ..... like Jim said, you might be best to take it to a trailer place (you said 'Magnum trailers') and let them advise you on what parts to get. Buy them from them and take them home and swap it out.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    There is only about 3/8 in clearance between the tire and the inner fender on the rear tires.
    This doesn't sound like a spring issue. Your axle is rigid so to get both tires on the same axle to be so close to the inner fender you'd need bent spindles, oversized tires, incorrect wheel offset, an axle that is too short or fenders that have splayed out.

Are the axles the same? What distance are the front tires from the fenders? Are all of the rub marks directly above the spindles?

Some more pictures might be useful.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Working on getting it resolved today.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    Yes, factory wheels. On the placard says 14 x 6. Guessing 14 inch, 6 bolt. Believe tires are ST215 75R14. All the same as when I got the boat in 2002.
    I think that would be 14” wheel 6” wide. Not 6 lugs.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

11. Member
    When replacing the springs make sure all the components were mounted correctly and in the same configuration. If axles were mounted on top or below the springs make sure they still are. Make sure hangars are in the correct orientation as is the equalizer. If the rear tires are a lot closer than the front then you either need to level the trailer or your equalizer/shackles have flipped. Or you have the wrong springs.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay