Synthetic oil for SHO

Is Yamaha synthetic really worth the extra $$ over Yamaha conventional oil? My 2018 SHO has 200+ hours. I put about 70 hours/year on it (lots of idling and has never "made oil" since first 3 hours) and I change oil every fall. Also, if I switch to synthetic is it better to drain the old regular oil instead of pumping it the first time to get more out? Thanks
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

2. Member
    For what most places charge for the Yamaha synthetic I would buy Amsoil marine instead. Been running it since 2012 in my SHOs and it is amazing how clean it comes out during the yearly change, read up on it and compare it against the Yamaha oil - better additives and durability. If you are going to use a pump I would still drop the plug after you are done, there is always residual oil when I do it that way.

3. Member
    I believe the Yamaha synthetic is top quality oil. I'd run any marine oil of proper viscosity and change it on time. I've been running mystic synthetic.

4. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Why would you pump it instead of removing the plug? Seems like the plug would remove more?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    For what most places charge for the Yamaha synthetic I would buy Amsoil marine instead. Been running it since 2012 in my SHOs and it is amazing how clean it comes out during the yearly change, read up on it and compare it against the Yamaha oil - better additives and durability. If you are going to use a pump I would still drop the plug after you are done, there is always residual oil when I do it that way.
    ok, good info....If it runs cleaner and really is more "durable" that's enough reason for me to switch.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Why would you pump it instead of removing the plug? Seems like the plug would remove more?
    My 1st oil change I drained the oil (like you said, to get everything out). The next couple times I pumped it out (as the Yamaha manual prefers). If I do switch to synthetic I will drain out the old stuff the 1st time.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    I run Amsoil in mine also.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Are you using the 10-30 Amsoil marine?

9. Member
    Amsoil in everything I own.

Amsoil.png
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

10. Member
    I run Amsoil in my SHO too. I also use there oil in my lower unit. Great products.

11. Member
    Is Yamaha synthetic worth the extra cost? No. It's a rebranded oil produced by citgo with a big price tag on it. It does have a decent additive package and a decent base oil, but it's not worth the price.
    Amsoil is overpriced as well, but they use a higher quality base oil and and a little better additive package. If I'm paying premium price for fc-w oil I at least want it to be a top quality oil so I do run run amsoil over yamalube.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T.CAT View Post
    Are you using the 10-30 Amsoil marine?
    Yes and their lower unit oil as well.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO