Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Brisket wasn’t as Tender as usual….

Did a 4.5lb brisket on my WSM yesterday. Flavor was good, meat was tougher than previous ones. Cook temp was 225 with the water pan full. Smoked it until 175, wrapped in foil, back on the smoker until 203. Placed in a cooler for 3 hours.

It happens. Been there, done that. If it is a bit tough I slice it thin and gently steam it when reheating if I’m going to make sandwiches. Otherwise I chop it up and eat it like pulled pork. On bigger pieces of meat I’ll turn it into stew, chili, or taco meat.

Caught a show on TV this AM on brisket. Don’t remember the name. The guy was trimming a packer brisket @ 13 lbs. Took the fat trimmings, put them in a bowl then into the smoker close to the heat. It was an offset but seems like you could get away with it by putting it low in an electric or close to a heat source on an egg/pellet grill. After about 6 hours when he wrapped it in butcher paper, he basted the meat with it. Saved the rest for something else. (Wasn’t paying super close attention). I usually toss the excess fat but next time I’ll render it down like he did.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Assuming you carved it properly, it may just have been a tough brisket.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Assuming you carved it properly, it may just have been a tough brisket.
    Yep, you can only make an Average piece of meat so good. I usually smoke Sams or Costco prime and they are good but once I smoked a Snake River Farms Wagyu black brisket. I was amazed at the difference. Just picked up a Wagyu gold to see if it is worth the extra money.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

6. Member
    Why didn't you cook it till tender??? Should never cook to a temp alone.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Why didn't you cook it till tender??? Should never cook to a temp alone.
    Agreed. I missed that when I first read his post. I always pull my brisket when it is probe tender. Also I rest them for 8+ hours in a turkey roaster set at 150F. I recently tried the beef tallow wrap and it is also a winner!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

I’m a cheap SOB. I like choice best. I’ve had some super select grade from wally world. I’ll only get packer trim in the 9-12 lb range. I trim the fat cap the way I like it. Buying points or flats? Nope. They’re usually over trimmed and I don’t want to play that game. Good if you hit it perfect. Tough or dry if you miss one way or the other.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Caught a show on TV this AM on brisket. Don’t remember the name. The guy was trimming a packer brisket @ 13 lbs. Took the fat trimmings, put them in a bowl then into the smoker close to the heat. It was an offset but seems like you could get away with it by putting it low in an electric or close to a heat source on an egg/pellet grill. After about 6 hours when he wrapped it in butcher paper, he basted the meat with it. Saved the rest for something else. (Wasn’t paying super close attention). I usually toss the excess fat but next time I’ll render it down like he did.
    I have done this, makes a really moist brisket every time for me so for.

10. Member
    There is a cooking to a temp to ensure meat is cooked, like a rare steak or chicken, then there is smoking to temps to achieve a consistency or effect. There is a lot of mis-information out there and it's hard to weed through it all. I tend towards Meathead's Amazing ribs web site. They do a lot of testing and it's based on real science I can follow. There is for sure a difference in taste between the different grades of brisket, and sometimes you just get one that is tough, but if you learn to cook to a temp as a guide, then finish it with your senses over all most any grade can be tender. Like ribs, you hear 3-2-1 or forms of that. Yes its a guide, but there is more. I wrap ribs when the rub is set, and doesn't come off on my finger. May be 2 hours, 3 whatever I know when the rub sets the fat isn't rendering anymore and its absorbed as much smoke as its likely to, and will have a nice color. Brisket you should watch for the sheen to leave the rub before wrapping (if that's what you do). Pork butts are harder, typically I wrap at 165 if I'm going to. The fat is rendering by there. Just my observations. Just don't get hung up on a temp. Cook with your senses

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    There is a cooking to a temp to ensure meat is cooked, like a rare steak or chicken, then there is smoking to temps to achieve a consistency or effect. There is a lot of mis-information out there and it's hard to weed through it all. I tend towards Meathead's Amazing ribs web site. They do a lot of testing and it's based on real science I can follow. There is for sure a difference in taste between the different grades of brisket, and sometimes you just get one that is tough, but if you learn to cook to a temp as a guide, then finish it with your senses over all most any grade can be tender. Like ribs, you hear 3-2-1 or forms of that. Yes its a guide, but there is more. I wrap ribs when the rub is set, and doesn't come off on my finger. May be 2 hours, 3 whatever I know when the rub sets the fat isn't rendering anymore and its absorbed as much smoke as its likely to, and will have a nice color. Brisket you should watch for the sheen to leave the rub before wrapping (if that's what you do). Pork butts are harder, typically I wrap at 165 if I'm going to. The fat is rendering by there. Just my observations. Just don't get hung up on a temp. Cook with your senses
    This is it. Can't tell you the last time I used a temp probe on anything. A good skewer slid into a brisket makes a good checker when brisket is done
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichPhoenix77 View Post
    Yep, you can only make an Average piece of meat so good. I usually smoke Sams or Costco prime and they are good but once I smoked a Snake River Farms Wagyu black brisket. I was amazed at the difference. Just picked up a Wagyu gold to see if it is worth the extra money.
    I'm gonna pretend that I didn't read this and just stick to my Sam's prime to save some money, ha! I have grabbed a few SRF ribeyes at Sam's and they are incredible!!

Time and temp are good guides for folks that are new to the game. “However long it takes and when it probes like butter” really isn’t much help. An approximation of both are guidelines to get someone an idea of what they’re looking at.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=fr8dog;12097091]Time and temp are good guides for folks that are new to the game. “However long it takes and when it probes like butter” really isn’t much help. An approximation of both are guidelines to get someone an idea of what they’re looking at.[/QUOTE

Depends on what temp your cooking at, and the size of the meat. At 225-250 and 15lb full packer you better set aside 15+ hours. At 300-325 you can accomplish the same thing in 6-8...

You can Google several pretty good cook time charts for a base.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

I usually base it on 235*. I plan on 1hr/lb and aim to have it done 3 hours before I want to eat. Gives me some slop time. You can towel them and put them in a cooler if they get done sooner. Trying to rush them doesn’t seem to work.

16. Moderator
    I use a toothpick when checking for tenderness. Toothpick won't lie.

17. Member
    I still have a lot to learn about making Brisket, but one thing I have learned for certain is I don’t go by temperature when I wrap it or when it’s done. I wrap it when the bark that’s how I like it, which is usually five hours minimum into the cook at 240°, after I wrap in butcher paper it’s all about the probing the meat. It usually probes resistant free around 203° for me. Although from what I read it can be much higher. Unlike other meat, I think briskets are unique and cannot have a certain timeframe involved. That’s just my experience. I’m still definitely learning.

18. Member
    Typically the higher the grade the higher the temp to tender. Waygu can be up around 211

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC