Second hand information regarding the bible ?

There have been recent post here on the faith forum regarding second hand information (the biblical documents vs. us today) , why doesn't God speak to us like he has in the past................donkeys, oceans splitting , snakes on poles blah blah blah ................ect. I have posted "some reasons why" , they "the New Testament writers were living in the last days", and I posted a couple of biblical text to support my textural belief's .....................but the question rage's on.

Thought I would post this brief video. Inspiration, Infallibility and Inerrancy.

P.s. I posted a video yesterday ( no replays, no comments, notta, its ok ) titled " The immutable God Christianity" ...............................and spoke briefly about the "veil"/ "the white terry clothes" I buy @ Sam's Club ", Moses' veil", as he saw God as recorded in the Old Testament. I met with God last evening watching that specific video, I personally had to put a terry cloth towel over my face to shield my shamefulness (my human-ish) before a Holy God and with tears running down my cheeks. .............................. I actually met with God about 45 minutes ago on my front porch speaking with him.

P.sssssss..

I, like my good friend "Houston", was "saved" in a good old Baptist Church in Austin , Texas but attended several other denominations through the years..........................

I AM NOT A CHARISMATIC .

That was for the biblical "last days" / End times...............................Thankfully God is here with us today.

Revelation 22:17 :

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

To walk with God again ..................its Free.

2. Member

3. Member
    Some or Many will say........................I don't have the time to study or familiarize myself with Greek, Hebrew languages, blah blah blah blah. I bet you can name the NFL (your favorite QB, player ) , Your MLB pitcher or team , your local high school stats.................NBA stats ect.

But the Word ( The Bible ) says.................

The apostle Paul wrote to the evangelist Timothy, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).

I think that is admonition to know the word of God.

4. Member
    I watched the video. His opening statement made me anxious for its culmination. He defined inspiration, infallibility, and inerrancy and how they've been defined and misused. He even talked of possibly errors of non consequence (numbers being rounded, etc.) but then his final statement was just to say the bible is inspired, infallible, inerrant, true and trustworthy. Nowhere did he address the question of how we know the authors were actually inspired by God. Defining the word inspiration doesn't identify the one who's inspiring. It's the kind of talk around that can be frustrating for someone like myself. Lots of side dishes, but no meat and potatoes.

There have been recent post here on the faith forum regarding second hand information (the biblical documents vs. us today) , why doesn't God speak to us like he has in the past................donkeys, oceans splitting , snakes on poles blah blah blah ................ect. I have posted "some reasons why" , they "the New Testament writers were living in the last days", and I posted a couple of biblical text to support my textural belief's .....................but the question rage's on.
    Simple question (I think): Why did they deserve/require obvious and indisputable proof of god just because they were living in the last days? Also, are you referring to those old testament examples as happening in the last days? (ok, that's two questions)

I've heard it said that god had to do those wonderous things because he was just beginning his interactions with man and had to give them solid proof of his existence. When I hear that, it implies that we somehow have our proof today. How do we? The bible? A book so clouded with different translations as well as disagreements over it's meanings that it has caused great division even among those who accept it's authenticity? A book whose interpretations cause tremendous tribalism and division into many different camps of thought? So that's all we get? How could god possibly see that as all we need to secure our salvation? I give him more credit than that.

Some or Many will say........................I don't have the time to study or familiarize myself with Greek, Hebrew languages, blah blah blah blah. I bet you can name the NFL (your favorite QB, player ) , Your MLB pitcher or team , your local high school stats.................NBA stats ect.
    Because even if I studied all those original languages and got the scriptural interpretations perfectly accurate, it still wouldn't be evidence that those words were devinely inspired.

I'm a college football fan, I care very little for those other sports so nobody can ever accuse me of obsessing over NFL, MLB, or NBA players or stats. However, to your comparison, if I did care about those players names and stats, there would be no controversy over them. Those names and stats would be universally accepted as fact whether opposing fans liked it or not.

Again, these are my thoughts as plain and simple minded as they may be. It's not ne saying "here's why you're wrong to believe this or that" or anything even close. I sincerely appreciate the input because it is thought provoking for me.

I also watched the video entitled "The friendly argument in a nutshell." late in that video he says god has to give us the gift of faith and that it doesn't come from within us. Maybe that's what I await.
    Full blood Nikonian

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    I watched the video. His opening statement made me anxious for its culmination. He defined inspiration, infallibility, and inerrancy and how they've been defined and misused. He even talked of possibly errors of non consequence (numbers being rounded, etc.) but then his final statement was just to say the bible is inspired, infallible, inerrant, true and trustworthy. Nowhere did he address the question of how we know the authors were actually inspired by God. Defining the word inspiration doesn't identify the one who's inspiring. It's the kind of talk around that can be frustrating for someone like myself. Lots of side dishes, but no meat and potatoes.

Simple question (I think): Why did they deserve/require obvious and indisputable proof of god just because they were living in the last days? Also, are you referring to those old testament examples as happening in the last days? (ok, that's two questions)

I've heard it said that god had to do those wonderous things because he was just beginning his interactions with man and had to give them solid proof of his existence. When I hear that, it implies that we somehow have our proof today. How do we? The bible? A book so clouded with different translations as well as disagreements over it's meanings that it has caused great division even among those who accept it's authenticity? A book whose interpretations cause tremendous tribalism and division into many different camps of thought? So that's all we get? How could god possibly see that as all we need to secure our salvation? I give him more credit than that.

Because even if I studied all those original languages and got the scriptural interpretations perfectly accurate, it still wouldn't be evidence that those words were devinely inspired.

I'm a college football fan, I care very little for those other sports so nobody can ever accuse me of obsessing over NFL, MLB, or NBA players or stats. However, to your comparison, if I did care about those players names and stats, there would be no controversy over them. Those names and stats would be universally accepted as fact whether opposing fans liked it or not.

Again, these are my thoughts as plain and simple minded as they may be. It's not ne saying "here's why you're wrong to believe this or that" or anything even close. I sincerely appreciate the input because it is thought provoking for me.

I also watched the video entitled "The friendly argument in a nutshell." late in that video he says god has to give us the gift of faith and that it doesn't come from within us. Maybe that's what I await.

This is why I sincerely appreciate your comments in the faith forum...............................not many people take the time to watch the things I post, much less pay attention to its detail.

Just from reading and interacting with you in PM's..........................He has given you this already, now you just have study, pray to understand it more accurately. I am not requesting you to give up on your skepticism on many of the topics you raise............they should be raised !!! Be a Berean !