Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N

Getting acquainted with my 1st "fish finder" and hoping to learn more about how to read these images. Carried my deep cycle into living room and hooked er up to Helix. Been studying it for days and also spent a lot of time on this forum and youtube. Finally got a change to take it out and do some recordings. #1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 are at Cherokee in Tn, #2 and #4 are from French Broad river just below Nolichucky convergence. Now, I'm back in living room studying recordings/screenshots trying to tweak settings to see fish and learn everything I can before next trip. Here are some of the Images. I can see baitfish in some of these examples but having some trouble finding possible target fish. Would you all take a look and see what you think...(forgive the abrupt turn in #1, and #7...I got a little excited when that pile of rocks showed up)

#1 S00005.PNG #2S00011.PNG #3S00004.PNG #4S00003.PNG #5S00007.PNG

#6 S00006.PNG #7S00005.PNG #8S00004.PNG

2. Member
    Nicely done. I am in the same boat as you. Looking forward to hear some responses.

I have been able to identify some bait fish and catch some bass that I have seen on mine, but I have been surprised how much textbook structure I have found with NOTHING on it.

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Looks really good. My only suggestion is that you could probably use the contrast to remove the cloudy area in the Down Image water column on a couple of the images if you want. It looks like a thermocline to me.

Also, there is a Water Column Sensitivity setting on SI and DI which you can use to either bring out or play down things in the water column. It goes from a -3 to a +3 setting. You might play with that to see what suits you best.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    2D sensitivity could also be turned down slightly, and you may want to bring the back end of your transducer up, again, slightly. The arches in 2d are a little off.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    Nicely done. I am in the same boat as you. Looking forward to hear some responses.

I have been able to identify some bait fish and catch some bass that I have seen on mine, but I have been surprised how much textbook structure I have found with NOTHING on it.
    Thanks Bjxds, Got some time off this week so I'll be posting more images soon!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Looks really good. My only suggestion is that you could probably use the contrast to remove the cloudy area in the Down Image water column on a couple of the images if you want. It looks like a thermocline to me.

Also, there is a Water Column Sensitivity setting on SI and DI which you can use to either bring out or play down things in the water column. It goes from a -3 to a +3 setting. You might play with that to see what suits you best.
    Thanks SLYDoggie, anxious to try adjusting "water column sensitivity".

8. Member
    Thanks for the graphic Wayne P! I'm on it!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    2D sensitivity could also be turned down slightly, and you may want to bring the back end of your transducer up, again, slightly. The arches in 2d are a little off.
    Thanks Chief Brody, I went out yesterday evening to adjust transducer angle...used the "coin method" from you tube. I'll post some more images soon.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Used "Coin Method" to determine how far to raise transducer...Do these arches look any better?

#1S00053.PNG #2 S00054.PNG #3 S00055.PNG #3a (with chirp data) S00056.PNG #3b
    #3c (my settings) S00058.PNG #3d (more settings) S00059.PNG #3e (more settings)S00060.PNG
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    A little farther down stream...bottom transition from soft to hard...Wow, look at the arches! What do you all think? Are most of these fish?

S00080.PNG

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytrails View Post
    A little farther down stream...bottom transition from soft to hard...Wow, look at the arches! What do you all think? Are most of these fish?
    S00080.PNG

I went back yesterday to same location and threw some cranks, jerkbaits, paddletails, and even tried some live shiners...caught nothing but leaves and twigs. Most of this stuff is trash...so, I think I'm gonna try to figure out how to fine-tune this stuff out of view.

13. Member
    I found this while I was tweaking my settings...Turtle? S00016.PNG

14. Member
    I think I may have tuned out trash on SI...(compared to 2d)

S00082.PNG

15. Member
    What do you all make of this screenshot? I was coming around a point where two rivers meet...Fish on top of the point and "off the drop"? Sorry, I got excited again and made an abrupt turn and goofed-up part of the image. I was trolling/drifting the smaller converging river into the main river when I noticed this point on SI and what appeared to be fish. Made a hard turn to port and made multiple casts as I drifted roughly casting distance from the front of the point....nothing. It was getting late and had long trip home so didn't set-up again. How would you "set-up" on this point?

S00033.PNG

16. Member
    Definitely multiple fish, maybe flathead cats.

Drop a piece of cut bait down there a little upstream and wait.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Thanks Wayne P! "Water column sensitivity" off...how do these arches look?

S00048.PNG

S00048.PNG
    Looks like the transducer is not parallel to the water's surface or the fish did not pass through the center of the sonar coverage.

How do I make the unit show Fish Arches? | Humminbird
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Looks like the transducer is not parallel to the water's surface or the fish did not pass through the center of the sonar coverage.

How do I make the unit show Fish Arches? | Humminbird
    Wayne I agree with your assessment but always get it confused about which way the transducer needs to be adjusted. The arches are skewed to the left (left side is longer) and I think that means that the back (tail) of the transducer is too low. Is that correct?
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar

S00048.PNG
    Agree with Wayne that your transducer is not level. If you check on youtube for the "coin method" of Transducer adjustment, there is a very good video on how to ensure that your transducer is level with the water surface at the speed you typically fish as well as your location in the boat.

I have a much easier and quicker method which I like to use. All I do is go slowly by a bridge pillar. If your transducer is level with the water surface, the DI and SI of the bridge pillar will be perfectly vertical. If it leans one way or the other, then your transducer is not level. I've attached a picture of a screen capture I did on one of my transducer checkouts. It doesn't get any more level than this. The object was actually the generator intake at Tims Ford Lake with a school of Gar that constantly circle the top of it throughout the summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast