Thread: retirement home

retirement home

almost ready to start planning a retirement home. looking at SE tn likely. lived in Nashville for awhile but not a great bass area so looking se area maybe? any advice? or head to SW corner to hit Alabama area???
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Member
    Chattanooga has Chickamauga and Alabama isn't far away.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Chattanooga has Chickamauga and Alabama isn't far away.
    that is what I was thinking and Georgia area also? carolinas a drive??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Well, I am prejudiced.

I spend Summers in Fairfield Glade, TN. Five of the most beautiful golf courses you could want (The Golf Capital of TN). 11 lakes..all no-wake lakes but each of them has some (few) five to nine lb LM bass in them. NO JET SKIS or WAKE BOATS!

I'm one hour from Chickamauga; 1.25 hours from Dale Hollow. Plenty of Walleye; Smallmouth and LM bass, along with a few muskies.

One hour from Melton Hill for 20/40 lb stripers; muskies and other species. All sorts of Trout in the Caney Fork River, along with Smallies and Rockfish (Stripers) again, an hour away.

Many of the TVA lakes and dams are one or two hours away.

A great retirement community, full of transplants from almost every State within 1000 miles.

Low-cost housing, but going up quickly. No State Income tax; very low Real Estate taxes ($200m home, $800.00 annually); Low amenity fee for the community of $112.00 per month. If I didn't have 6 grandchildren in Texas, we'd live here all year round.

Winters have temperatures in the 20's for lows. Oh, in the Summer, we are 6 to 8 degrees cooler than Chattanooga; Knoxville (45 minutes away); Nashville, etc. We are at 2000 feet on the Cumberland Plateau and that makes the temperatures better.

Negatives...not much shopping in Crossville, our "town" 8-miles away, but, you are only 35 minutes from Cookeville and 45 minutes from the Knoxville suburb of Turkey Creek, with all of the shopping and restaurants your wife could want.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. richg99
    Last edited by richg99; 09-18-2021 at 07:23 PM.

5. Member
    Master bedroom and bath downstairs...you are welcome

6. Member
    Chattanooga, plenty of places to eat/shop and things to do outside of fishing. Chickamauga, Nickajack, and Watts Bar are right here. Guntersville, Weiss Lake, Carters, and Tim’s Ford are 1.5 hours away. If you love to trout fish, you can be on some amazing trout waters within an hour. Housing is getting more and more expensive everyday, but you can still find affordable places and land to spread out if needed.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

7. Member
    IMO Nickajack is a well kept stretch of water. I can make the drive there and back on a long day. It's two hours each way from me. I won't see anywhere near the boat traffic as going to Guntersville of Chick. There should be places on the state line, like maybe Sand Mountain? Georgia taxes can be stiff. Al taxes aren't that bad, and of course TN doesn't have state income taxes. Retiring around Woods Reservoir and Tim's Ford deserves a peek as well.

I grew up in and around Chattanooga. Traffic has gotten insane when I pass through.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    IMO Nickajack is a well kept stretch of water. I can make the drive there and back on a long day. It's two hours each way from me. I won't see anywhere near the boat traffic as going to Guntersville of Chick. There should be places on the state line, like maybe Sand Mountain? Georgia taxes can be stiff. Al taxes aren't that bad, and of course TN doesn't have state income taxes. Retiring around Woods Reservoir and Tim's Ford deserves a peek as well.

I grew up in and around Chattanooga. Traffic has gotten insane when I pass through.
    Chattanooga is well on its way to being destroyed as Nashville is already gone... I have friends in several parts of Tn that are ready to get out because there is simply too many people moving there
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

9. Member
    Hard to beat the Nashville-Murfreesboro corridor... a lot of variety within 30 minutes to < 2 hours with Priest, Old Hickory, Center Hill, Dale Hollow, Tims Ford, Cheatham, Barclay, KY Lake, Guntersville, Chic, Nickajack, Woods, Normandy and then Pickwick just a bit further.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Well, I am prejudiced.

I spend Summers in Fairfield Glade, TN. Five of the most beautiful golf courses you could want (The Golf Capital of TN). 11 lakes..all no-wake lakes but each of them has some (few) five to nine lb LM bass in them. NO JET SKIS or WAKE BOATS!

I'm one hour from Chickamauga; 1.25 hours from Dale Hollow. Plenty of Walleye; Smallmouth and LM bass, along with a few muskies.

One hour from Melton Hill for 20/40 lb stripers; muskies and other species. All sorts of Trout in the Caney Fork River, along with Smallies and Rockfish (Stripers) again, an hour away.

Many of the TVA lakes and dams are one or two hours away.

A great retirement community, full of transplants from almost every State within 1000 miles.

Low-cost housing, but going up quickly. No State Income tax; very low Real Estate taxes ($200m home, $800.00 annually); Low amenity fee for the community of $112.00 per month. If I didn't have 6 grandchildren in Texas, we'd live here all year round.

Winters have temperatures in the 20's for lows. Oh, in the Summer, we are 6 to 8 degrees cooler than Chattanooga; Knoxville (45 minutes away); Nashville, etc. We are at 2000 feet on the Cumberland Plateau and that makes the temperatures better.

Negatives...not much shopping in Crossville, our "town" 8-miles away, but, you are only 35 minutes from Cookeville and 45 minutes from the Knoxville suburb of Turkey Creek, with all of the shopping and restaurants your wife could want.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. richg99
    This is a great area due to the climate and location. Cookeville has a premium hospital as well. TN has no state income tax, so beats Georgia in that regard, and I live in NW Georgia.

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    Chattanooga is well on its way to being destroyed as Nashville is already gone... I have friends in several parts of Tn that are ready to get out because there is simply too many people moving there
    Yep, we just moved from East TN back to Central AL. What was a great place to live is becoming crowded and overpriced.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Yep, we just moved from East TN back to Central AL. What was a great place to live is becoming crowded and overpriced.
    Thats exactly what my friends are telling me! Real estate agents and developers are some of the lowest life forms on the planet imho
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda