1992 Johnson 120 high speed miss

I have a 1994 Stratos 284 with a 1992 Johnson 120 J120TLEND motor. Prop is a Solas Amitas 17R with a top RPM of 4200 - 4600 rpm giving me 36 - 37 mph. Hard to tell because the tach keeps bouncing around. Cleaned the carbs (no rebuild yet), fixed fuel pump leak, replaced all fuel hoses, priming bulb, and added a fuel filter. Runs way better now but still has a high speed miss I can't track down. Power pack was replaced with new one by previous owner and the VRO has been deleted. New plugs, compression 115, 115, 120, 115. AT 3500 - 4000 rpm smooth as silk. WOT the miss starts. Not bad but noticeable and can't get over 5000 rpm. Before I start replacing everything where should I start?

2. Member
    I had a similar issue on my 95 Ranger. Ended up being the fuel tank selector valve was allowing air into the system. Some of the knowledgeable folks on this site helped me through determining if I was getting air in the system, and it turned out to be the selector. Not sure if your boat has one, but if so, might be something to look at.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

3. Member
    Only one tank but I have considered it may be the pickup tube in the tank. New to boats so I'm going on my automotive knowledge. Winter project to pull the tank and repair a stringer issue under it so I'll have a go at the tank while I'm at it. Thanks for the suggestion.