trolling motor breaker

I have a motorguide brute 756 on my boat. Back of the plug is melted so I want to direct wire but I don't know what breaker size to get. Does anybody know?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have 3 or 4 wires going from the batteries to the front, you need two breakers or fuses. If your wire is 6 AWG or larger, use 60A breakers. If the wire is smaller, you may have to downsize the breakers to stay safe with the wire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I personally am not familiar with that mtr. I would call the fellas at Jones trolling motor service with that question. They know what you need and even sell and ship. Great guys down there

4. Member
    There are 4 wires now 2 black 2 red. Will be upgrading to 6 guage wire when I do this. Thanks

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryebread View Post
    There are 4 wires now 2 black 2 red. Will be upgrading to 6 guage wire when I do this. Thanks
    My suggestion, and I have a 756 myself, is to forget the 12V mode, and add a jumper at the batteries and use 2 6AWG wires to the bow running strictly 24V and go with a single 60A breaker in the positive wire near the battery.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    My suggestion, and I have a 756 myself, is to forget the 12V mode, and add a jumper at the batteries and use 2 6AWG wires to the bow running strictly 24V and go with a single 60A breaker in the positive wire near the battery.
    I think this is the route I have been looking for to go with thank you very much

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Catfan is correct that is the way to go that is what I did when I installed my Ultrex
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    So another question, at the moment I only have a starting battery and 1 deep cycle. Can I hook up the trolling motor to just the 1 deep cycle and switch to 12v? Mostly to see if it works.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryebread View Post
    So another question, at the moment I only have a starting battery and 1 deep cycle. Can I hook up the trolling motor to just the 1 deep cycle and switch to 12v? Mostly to see if it works.
    Yes you can.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Perfect Thanks

11. Member
    If your using a Marinco plug, get rid of the internal jumper in the tm plug, lot of people had problems with the jumper not tight (loose) and causing shorts and or fire ! If your using a 24v tm no need for the jumper in the plug. I have a jumper between the 12v batteries (24v) in series. See post # 5 above, I have my fortrex wired this way !

12. Member
    Well, there ya go. All good advice except me. I use the 4 wire system, it carries less amperage in each leg and combines at the plug for the shortest amount of wire carrying 24 volts length. The wiring in the motor is only 10 Gauge anyhow. If you wire it correctly and neatly it will give years of trouble free service, and if you don't want to use the 4 wire system, jumper it at the batteries, use 4 wires with 24 volts all the way from the back 2 wires of each potential (voltage). You can use the starting battery and another to make 24 volts but it is a pretty lame way to do it, and it just might leave you without enough power to start some day.