There has to be a trick to spooling line

Fellas, There has to be a trick to spooling the 75 yards of Braid out of a 150 yard spool so you can get two spools out of it. I'm always challenged by how much backfill to add . Each reel spool is a bit different. Just wondering if anyone in the BBC community has devised a great way of doing it .

BTW , I eventually get there by hook or crook but it ain't pretty.

Im following this also I always put more braid on than needed.

3. Member
    Measure and cut 75yds from spool. Put those 75yds on an EMPTY reel of your choice spinning or casting. Fill reel to proper level with backing of your choice. Remove line with cordless drill and spare empty spool. Reverse line to another spare spool. Put reversed line on reel. You only have to do this once as your backing will last through many refills

Simple fix... buy a line counter!!

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymourbass View Post
    Measure and cut 75yds from spool. Put those 75yds on an EMPTY reel of your choice spinning or casting. Fill reel to proper level with backing of your choice. Remove line with cordless drill and spare empty spool. Reverse line to another spare spool. Put reversed line on reel. You only have to do this once as your backing will last through many refills
    ^This
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Simple fix... buy a line counter!!
    EXACTLY THIS!! Saves all the frustration and for me it helps me keep track of how much line I need to buy when respooling
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymourbass View Post
    So the 75 yrds measured I get. But then I am a bit confused. Fill the reel with backing? Do you mean a complete full spool? Then put that line on another spool? Then what??

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So the 75 yrds measured I get. But then I am a bit confused. Fill the reel with backing? Do you mean a complete full spool? Then put that line on another spool? Then what??
    Put it back on the reel, backing first.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    See how many inches of line your reel takes in per turn. Do the simple math to figure out how many turns you need to make. I had the same issue and this is a pretty good ballpark.

10. Member
    I have about a 40 yard back yard. I put two of the driveway stakes 25 yards apart, measured by a range finder. I take the rubber top off one of them and sit the spool on top of that. I then walk the end of the spool whatever line I want on the reel and then tie the end to the reel, cut the line at the spool and then reel the line up. It's an exact science.....
    Joey Aderhold

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    I have about a 40 yard back yard. I put two of the driveway stakes 25 yards apart, measured by a range finder. I take the rubber top off one of them and sit the spool on top of that. I then walk the end of the spool whatever line I want on the reel and then tie the end to the reel, cut the line at the spool and then reel the line up. It's an exact science.....
    So exactly how much 12lb mono do you need to spoil on your reel so 75yds of 10lb braid will fill the reel. Measuring line is easy. Knowing how much of two different lines it takes to fill the reel is the hard part.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    So exactly how much 12lb mono do you need to spoil on your reel so 75yds of 10lb braid will fill the reel. Measuring line is easy. Knowing how much of two different lines it takes to fill the reel is the hard part.
    Bingo!! If I had identical extra spools for each rod it would be easier but I don't. I want to spool about 15 reels so hoping to get a great trick in doing so.

I fish braid to flourocarbon leaders on nearly all my baitcasters and now spinning rods as well minus my crankbait and swimbait rods. Like you, all of my reels are different. So my rule of thumb is roughly 1/3 of the spool with mono backing and the other 2/3 braid. On my bigger reels/spools I’ll do 3/8 mono backer and the rest braid. Obviously every now and then you’ll end up a little off between them. But for the most part I have no issues and get 2 reels per spool of braid. Been doing it this way for about 4 years now. It leaves you plenty of braid on the reel for long casts but still enough to do multiple reels.
    1999 Ranger 519VS
    Journeyman Lineman
    IBEW 1245

14. Banned
    Spool it all the way up with cheap mono then make a long cast with a 1 oz weight then cut it off, the braid will be thinner than the mono if you use heavy enough mono so you will be putting several more yards of the braid on which os fine since you have some extra to account for break offs and reties.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman73 View Post
    Spool it all the way up with cheap mono then make a long cast with a 1 oz weight then cut it off, the braid will be thinner than the mono if you use heavy enough mono so you will be putting several more yards of the braid on which os fine since you have some extra to account for break offs and reties.
    Not bad for doing one or two reels but 15 might be a ton of Mono loss. Plus what ideally I would like to do is spool as close to 75 yards of braid.