2010 Yamaha 250 SHO won’t start

Went out the other day and the first few stops motor started cranking slower and slower when leaving. Eventually it stopped cranking and only clicks now. I loosened then retightened my battery and engine power and ground cables and also had jumper cables but even with those made no difference. Only thing I can find are starter relay issues but not for the SHO just the older F series engines. Seems like SHO information is far and few between. Strange for the amount of time it has been around. Any help, info, or insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Member
    Is this more likely to be the starter itself? Starter relay?

3. Member
    Sounds to me like a dead or dying battery or it's not getting charged up enough (weak alternator) so it gets weaker through the day? I've found that I need a 1000amp battery to start these newer motors with all their electronics....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    I jumped off my other battery and no change. Also let it charge overnight and tried with the battery still hooked up to charger. No luck. Checked leads at engine and getting 13.1 volts.

5. Member
    Anybody have any idea where I can find more info? I've got a trip coming up and no chance of getting it in anywhere to be looked at.

6. Member
    YAM911 would likely be the best person to ask here, but I think the starter/solenoid etc and charging systems on the regular "F series" 150-250hp motors would be the same as SHO's. There are several u-tube videos on diagnosing/repairing those...
    Last edited by McQuaig; 09-19-2021 at 07:47 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    Check your kill switch

8. Member
    Sounds like low battery voltage at the starter motor. But...

I would disconnect, clean and reconnect each connection point starting at the battery posts and moving on to the battery cable connection points on the motor and then on to the starting motor itself. Positive and ground leads.

Then test for voltage drop if that does not fix the problem. Starting at the battery. You say that you see 13.1 volts. Is that when the key is turned to the start position? I suspect not.

Maybe this diagram will help.

9. Member
    Much appreciated!

10. Member
    New starter took care of it. Thanks!

Also if anybody is reading this later with same issue, definitely check out DB Electric. Unbeatable prices and $27 overnight shipping!