Fat shaft runout

I have a 300R built in 4/19 serial number 1E080852. I was swapping my prop for a new ProMax prop and reused the original hub with the rubber strips. Before the prop is torqued down it just seems to have excessive up and down and sideways play. I could insert the hub by hand all the way. I removed the prop to check the prop shaft and I could not move the prop shaft vertically or sideways which was a relief.
    I then measured the runout just before the splines on the exhaust side and it was 0.002". I then measured it just after the splines on the prop nut side and it was almost 0.0025". Perhaps I did not have the dial indicator perfectly 90* to the shaft and it could have been 0.003"?? Is 0.002" acceptable on the exhaust side? The engine has about 65 hours on it.

2. Member
    I thought I've heard 0.002 is max runout for any prop shaft.

3. mikesxpress
    Glenn you had the prop movement (snugged down) prior to torquing and the splines were lubed? Possibility the hub splines are worn on the used hub? Do you have a new hub to try?

Your dial indicator readings appear to be within spec at .002-.0025.

4. Member
    No, I had some prop movement before it was torqued down. This same hub could be inserted into my Bravo FS prop by hand and removed by hand, and that was the same with the new ProMax prop. The hub and Bravo FS were new with the boat and engine and have 65 easy hours on them. It is a solid hub and there were very little if any shiny areas on it, but after your comment, perhaps the rubber strips are worn. If you remove the rubber strips and insert the hub, I assume it would just drop into the prop all the way? The strips lasted 65 hours? I do have a new Solas RBX - 123 hub that was installed once on a Solas prop for 15 minutes. It is rubber the full length. I guess I could try it if the ProMax did vibrate but it is tight and appears to turn true when it is torqued.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    .002" runout is well within service specs on the propshaft.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor