Thread: 1986 Mets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

Game should have ended before it even got to Buckners error
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    ????

4. Member
    Bill Buckner actually had an extremely successful career. He hit .300 and had 100 RBI's in multiple seasons. Prior to an injury, he had great speed on the bases as well. He finished his career with nearly 3,000 hits. He was one of my favorites on the Cubs in the late 70's and early 80's. Unfortunately, despite these career numbers, he will always be remembered for the infamous error. He died of dementia, a horrible disease, not all that long ago.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Buckner's error meant Calvin Schiraldi wouldn't be remembered as one of the biggest chokes in World Series history.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    Believe me I am a huge baseball guy and was not a big fan of either team just lived eat and sleep baseball. I hated what happened to Buckner. You never want to see a big game end on a complete fluke play. Mookie very well could have beat Buckner to the bag, possible, maybe. However He would not have beat the pitcher to the bag. On that play pitcher breaks as soon as ball goes to the first base area.
    I don't believe the pitcher was in the picture when Wilson crossed first.

7. Member
    In the video I watched the pitcher immediately broke toward first when the ball was hit. It doesn't show where he was at when the ball got past Buckner. He probably fell to his knees when the ball got past Buckner.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

8. Member
    Doug,you are right on! Calvin #@&$%$& Shiraldi!
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    I was going to school in Boston in '86 and was a huge Mets fan. When they brought Steamer Stanley into pitch, I announced to the room of Red Sox fans that the Mets would win the game. People forget, the tying run was on a wild pitch, although it was really a passed ball. Gedmann was a lousy catcher and just missed catching an inside pitch. Steamer was old and fat. The only way he was beating Mookle to first base was if Mookie fell and broke his ankle half way there. As great as that game was for a Mets fan, Game 6 of the NLCS against the Astros was better. An extra inning thriller.

10. Member
    Old and Fat! How dare you!
    Red Sox in 6!

11. Member
    I was 5 years old that season and will never forget my Grandfather taking my to a couple regular season games. Great memories!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_in_NY View Post
    I was going to school in Boston in '86 and was a huge Mets fan. When they brought Steamer Stanley into pitch, I announced to the room of Red Sox fans that the Mets would win the game. People forget, the tying run was on a wild pitch, although it was really a passed ball. Gedmann was a lousy catcher and just missed catching an inside pitch. Steamer was old and fat. The only way he was beating Mookle to first base was if Mookie fell and broke his ankle half way there. As great as that game was for a Mets fan, Game 6 of the NLCS against the Astros was better. An extra inning thriller.
    It was clearly a wild pitch and Gedman was actually a good catcher. In 1986 his defense was solid, added value, and I believe he was an all star. There is plenty of blame to spread around but John McNamara is often overlooked. He left Dave Stapleton, who was a better defensive option at first, on the bench. Unfortunately for Buckner the rest is history.
    Mike Smith

13. Member
    See page one(1) about how I feel about Johnny Mac! He was a lifetime baseball man who wouldn’t get a sniff in today’s game.
    Red Sox in 6!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    John McNamara was not a great manager and he made several mistakes during the Series.
    Sorry I missed this. He also pulled Clemens to early in gm 6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12