DFI oil on driveshaft

Ser# 2B399392 Mod.1251P73BD Had smart craft alarm, starboard thermostat improper function. (Non critical) Noticed water pres. at idle 0.9 - 0.7 psi. checked , cleaned Strbd. thermostat, new gasket. (no debris) Cleaned strainer, Very minimal debris. Installed new water pump kit. old set had paper/silicone gasket blown out in small corner section. Drive shaft seal was approx. 1/4" from touching top of impeller housing. Next outing noticed water pres. still 0.9 / 0.7 at idle. Pres. increases will rpms. reached 18 psi. Lake to rough for WOT. End of day let idle waiting at ramp and alarm went off. water pres. 0.9 /0.7 Again starboard thermostat improper function. Didn't think to take note of engine rpm at idle. Pulled lower again to see if I had forgot to tighten impeller housing bolts. (all tight) But did notice couple drops of Opti DFI oil on top of clean impeller housing and at top of now clean drive shaft. hoping this is normal. but I pretty sure its not. will take note of idle rpms this weekend during (must fish) tournament. Is there a lubrication port for driveshaft / crankshaft / spline connection. Thanks in advance

Oil is coming from a leaking lower crankshaft seal. As far water pressure, did you properly seat the seal on the driveshaft against the top of pump housing?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

I wouldn’t run the motor on the lake without addressing the water pressure and DFI oil seal issues. If checking thermostats, I would check both.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Would there not be the possibility that some DFI oil would normally pool in the bottom of the powerhead? Then when the driveshaft is removed, some drops of oil on the shaft, top of water pump housing would be normal? I know I've seen this on my ProXS and also saw it on a previously owned Mercruiser when dropping the lower unit (motor oil on shaft). Just my thoughts

5. Member
    not normal ,wpsi too low and needs oil seals on crank end caps replaced
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... lower crank seals and endcap o-ring (as well as powerhead gasket) required.

Recheck water pump (make sure ALL gaskets replaced)- face seal and shaft must be DRY and free of any oil or grease (otherwise will push seal up shaft).

Make sure PORT side thermostat is closing properly (and port side is reaching at least 120 degrees F at idle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Update : Port thermostat did in fact have a small pebble of sandstone not allowing stat to close completely, yet was big enough to not pass through. Thermostat had been chewing on pebble ? since first alarm. Pulled supply line to water pressure sensor verified no obstructions in line or sensor (Shop-Vac) WPSI now 3.5 - 3.0 at idle Thanks Bob G and Don Weed for letting me know to check Port thermostat as well. Regarding crank seals and and endcap O-ring. This doesn't seem to be covered by gold protection (expires 5/1/2022) even limited warranty (expired) doesn't mention any seals or O-rings. Calling Mech. to here estimated cost. More than likely buying hoist and doing it my self :(
    Last edited by Jeffro37; 09-26-2021 at 07:18 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're correct- seals and gaskets are not covered under Product Protection Plans.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor