Thread: 200 Suzuki

200 Suzuki

Looking for some input. I'm considering buying a new Vexus 2080AVX, 200 Suzuki is one of the option and it is the cheapest version.
    I have heard good things about reliability and pretty much bullet proof but that they are hard to prop and are slow. Looking for input from folks who should know.

2. Member
    I have the standard 200 on my Stratos dual console 19 feet 5 inches long. I found a bunch of Suzuki 16 inch diameter 3 blade 24.5 stainless props at give away prices several years ago and bought 4 or 5. I used them on my Suzy 175DF, and am using them on my 200. I did have hole shot issues until I put a whale tail on it, now it jumps right up. I only get to about 60 M P H on the GPS when I hit the rev limiter. For more speed, I could probably use more prop, but for right now, it's O K with me.
    Slow? Probably compared to some other brands, but pretty reliable, quiet and smooth.
    Cheap? Maybe so, but you can get one many places, not so with many other brands which are behind on manufacturing.

Just remember, Suzuki standard models turn the prop slower than other brands due to the L/U gears and reduction at the crank and propshaft so you're wasting your time trying to run the same prop specs as other comparable brand motors.

My buddy has a 200 zuki on his big offshore aluminum salmon boat (Raider). I was surprised at how well it worked on such a big boat. No speed demon, but the outboard did not stuggle for power, or control in big waves.

4. Member
    In my limited experience what have you heard is right. Rugged and reliable, hard to prop and slower top end. I’ve been running a DF 150 for a few months now, and yes it was quite difficult finding the best prop. Tempests, Trophy’s, Yamaha Ms and Rakers just don’t work. You need larger diameter (15-16”) with lots of rake and cup. The Solas Scorpion is the shape that works the best for me, downside is the SS is soft compared to higher quality brands. The Bravo is a close second, and I would bet it could be worked to be even better. The trick is finding a prop with good hole shot the doesn’t hit the rev limiter on top end. So while performance is adequate, I don’t think it will ever be considered fast. I lost 5-6 mph Merc Pro XS vs. Suzuki DF, 63 with the merc and 57 with the Suzuki. But one the positive side, the motor has a lot of qualities that are superior the Merc. The first of which is fuel consumption. The Zuke sips the gas. I can run hard fishing all weekend, and still have over half of a 44gal tank. Second would be how quite and smooth this motor is. All modern 4 strokes are pretty quiet, but the Suzuki is nearly silent. At idle the “pee” water hitting the surface is louder than the motor. The motor shifts silky smooth. The price and standard 5 year warranty make it stand out. I’ve only had mine for about three months, so I can’t speak to the overall reliability. Zero issues so far. But from what I can tell from others it’s really good. So those are the trade-offs. Good luck buying your next boat. Vexus boats are noice!