Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Ah thanks. Also I'm seeing all these carb kits but none of them state if they're ethanol resistant. I'd like to do the ethanol resistant conversion. Does anybody know where to get one?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightjd95 View Post
    I was pretty sure it had fuel stabilizers added.
    At best, stabilizer would be good for a year under ideal conditions. I'd get rid of that stuff and replace with fresh.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 i know of no specific ethanol resistant kits i have cleaned hundreds of those carbs and from the first to the last oem kits were the same no change get the gasket kits and inlet valves separate
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Hello all,

I had to leave the country for a year due to work but I am back and work can resume on the boat.
    I finally got the carbs off but it looks like the jetting is completely wild. I have attached images of the carbs markin. It looks like it has been restammed but I believe they are WH-3 carbs.
    20240212_112718.jpg
    The jets in the carb don't match up well with the table:
    carb jet (Small).png
    I removed the main jet from the cyc 1 and is a 078 which is the same as the recomendation, however the cyc 2 is 080. Now i wonder if the carbs have been ballenced in some way?

The ifle jet is way off from the recomended at 056 when the recomended is 046. What do you guys make of that? It is probably why it is running so rich.
    Secondly the all carb 1 is missing the second vent jet and the other is 095 Everything seems way off.

I'm wondering if the previous mechanic just dumped in whatever, or it was done like this to get a lower compression engine running.

Also, are this specific jets, or can anybody point me to a generic supplier?

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those carbs are WH-39-1/2/3. Jetting may differ from what you're seeing for a WH-3-1/2/3.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I can't seem to find any jetting chart for the WH-39 . I just want to make sure it hasn't been rejetted for high altitude then burn out the motor running it lean since I'm at sea level. The previous owner was at 6000ft, however, they may not have bothered to rejet,

7. Member
    You could buy the service manual from Mercury, they would be in there. Worth the investment. But other maybe someone has the chart and can tell you.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Those compression #'s are not your running problem.
    your options with a chrome bore are pretty limlted.
    US chrome in wisconsin did the chrome for merc and way back, they had an exchange program.
    Sounds like your on the right track with the re-jet.

9. Member
    ill dig mine up in abit
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    after speaking with TECH service no listing of size or location of jetting for WH39s , suggest you go to .084 in mains and .054 in idle jets , remove vent jets ; note this is a cross flow engine from the front the port venturi feeds the stbd cyl you may very well need the assistance of someone versed in jetting / two strk tuning for the correct fuel air mixture , be careful cyl damage can result real quick good luck ...JOE

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I was able to find jet specs on the WH46 & WH49 (used on the 2.4-200 in that vintage)... how closely do they match what you had?

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    You could buy the service manual from Mercury, they would be in there. Worth the investment. But other maybe someone has the chart and can tell you.

I maybe wrong on this because I was reading a thread on a different site where the guy is looking for the same info and has the service manual but it doesn’t list the specs for the wh-39, it stops at wh-29. So maybe that’s why it’s so hard to find the info for on the wh-39s, maybe Mercury never published them.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do believe that to be the case... as I've referenced the manuals for either side of that serial number range 2.4-200hp.

14. Member
    It's pretty close to those jetting values! Gives me a little more confidence. The number 2 carbs have a vent jet. From what I've gathered vent jets can be removed but it really affects fuel economy and I'm no racer here.

I'm in Mexico so finding a good 2 stroke tuner isn't going to happen. This is my vacation boat - I'm in Puerto Vallarta. There are yamaha/merc/honda dealer service centres etc which are staffed by university graduates, and plenty of big yatchs, super yatchs etc but nothing for older engines. It's the wild west when it comes to things like that. People here will claim they are experts when they know nothing.

I bought the outboard manual of course but it's missing the wh39 carb jetting table. I spent many a night poring over the manual in all its 600 pages.

I'll give the carbs a good clean then I'll post all the jetting values here and see what you all think. If you all approve I will do do a run up the trailer and take a video? What should I look out for if it's running lean? Should I be monitoring temperatures etc, looking for some advice here?

It's been a steep learning curve getting into this, boating in general, I didn't have a choice since as I said it's Mexico so I'm better off doing everything myself. Here is a photo of how she is looking now. I spent a good few hours sanding, cutting, polishing and waxing and it came out looking pretty good, there is a fair amount of scratches on the hull though which i will try to touch up:

20240213_143936.jpg
    Last edited by wrightjd95; 02-17-2024 at 08:22 PM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps good idea to perform a couple of plug reads at various RPM's. I have a hunch that these WH39's were something jetted specifically for your engine... perhaps from Day#1. But again- it's only a hunch. Given you the best info I can find after referencing before, during and after range manuals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12