Steering Centering

How do you center the steering wheel on a hydraulic Sea Star steering system?

Or Do you not center it because it is always changing never remaining centered?

1999 TR-21 with Sea Star hh5770 2.0 helm pump.
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

2. Member
    It’s always changing. U ever watch ur steering wheel running down the lake? It’s turning slightly almost all the time. Don’t understand why but it seems crazy to me as I’m seeing it happen.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    It’s always changing. U ever watch ur steering wheel running down the lake? It’s turning slightly almost all the time. Don’t understand why but it seems crazy to me as I’m seeing it happen.
    LOL.....no, I watch where I'm driving.

In all seriousness I have not noticed it running across the lake.
    I have since read it is caused by the fact that the fluid is always slipping past allowing the wheel to turn ever so slightly.
    Don't know if that's true or not.

Thank you for the reply.
    1999 TR-21

4. Member
    If the wheel is moving while your running you probably have air in the system and it needs to be bleed. The hydraulic fluid doesn't slip past the helm all the time if it did you could never keep the boat going in the right direction. If you can move you steering wheel 1/2" or more left or right when your setting still you need to bleed it but first check for leaks, loose bolts where the steering attaches to the motor and excessive play at the ends of the steering cylinder. If it's changing while your running the helm or the cylinder might be worn out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If the wheel is moving while your running you probably have air in the system and it needs to be bleed. The hydraulic fluid doesn't slip past the helm all the time if it did you could never keep the boat going in the right direction. If you can move you steering wheel 1/2" or more left or right when your setting still you need to bleed it but first check for leaks, loose bolts where the steering attaches to the motor and excessive play at the ends of the steering cylinder. If it's changing while your running the helm or the cylinder might be worn out.
    But it does some of the time so no need to center steering wheel...it will continue to move ever so slightly and be off center again?
    1999 TR-21

Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    But it does some of the time so no need to center steering wheel...it will continue to move ever so slightly and be off center again?
    it will move slightly over time. As an experiment try turning the wheel all the way to one side, then pull hard on the wheel. The bypass valve will open and you can turn the wheel even though the motor is at its lock. All hydraulic systems have a relief valve to prevent over pressure.
    the answer is to get a steering wheel that has symmetrical spokes and doesn’t matter what position it’s in for appearance sake.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    it will move slightly over time. As an experiment try turning the wheel all the way to one side, then pull hard on the wheel. The bypass valve will open and you can turn the wheel even though the motor is at its lock. All hydraulic systems have a relief valve to prevent over pressure.
    the answer is to get a steering wheel that has symmetrical spokes and doesn’t matter what position it’s in for appearance sake.
    ^^^^^^^^
    This This This
    I have never tried “pulling hard on the wheel” after it was turned all the way to one side but I know hydraulic systems will have a little bit of “slip.” This will cause your steering wheel to “shift “ over time.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

8. Member
    Always changing is absolutely correct. I always put a piece of red tape around the steering wheel on my oval dirt cars and RZR. I tried that on one of my boats years ago and boy was I in for a surprise!! We live and learn I guess.