Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Active Target Question

I have recently put Active Target on my boat and everything works well but I cannot get the cone projection icon to spin when I move my tolling motor. Is there a setting I need change in order to get that to move?

2. Member
    I spent an hour on the phone w lowrance, finally got transferred to America and the lady said,”I’m gonna be honest with you, we can’t figure out how to make it work properly.” The icon should show which direction your cone is pointed. But it just spins

I'm glad they released a update and moved it to the top left corner but I really wish it was a data overlay option. For my application it needs to be gone

Ranger do you have a point 1 on your vessel? I think it's the only way it will work correctly.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

The cone works off magnetic and the point 1 is giving it the heading so it knows the bow which way the bow is pointing. If you are not getting your cone to work properly, its because of magnetic interference. Its as simple as that.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    The cone works off magnetic and the point 1 is giving it the heading so it knows the bow which way the bow is pointing. If you are not getting your cone to work properly, its because of magnetic interference. Its as simple as that.
    Agreed. You are experiencing an installation challenge; the problem is not the software or hardware.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    I do have a point 1 and after making sure heading is running off of point one, I still cannot get it to point the correct direction. Frustrated!!!

7. Member
    I have done:
    1. calibrated point one
    2. updated unit
    3. made sure heading and rate are on point one

anything else I need to try??

8. Member
    You might want to try resolving what we are saying in the above posts... your installation of your Point-1 might be in a location where it is getting magnetic interference. Try unscrewing it and moving it around and temporarily taped down.

It would be very helpful to see a photo of your transducer location, and your Point-1 location.

Does your Point-1 seem to work properly in showing the direction to your waypoints when your boat is sitting still?
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 09-27-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    My pt. 1 is in back rear corner of boat (starboard) and transducer is close to middle (port) side. My pt 1 is working correctly.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger8470 View Post
    My pt. 1 is in back rear corner of boat (starboard) and transducer is close to middle (port) side. My pt 1 is working correctly.
    What type of trolling motor are you using, and how far up is the transducer? The transducer (like the Point-1) has to be mounted away from magnetic interference.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    What type of trolling motor are you using, and how far up is the transducer? The transducer (like the Point-1) has to be mounted away from magnetic interference.
    So on a Xi5 it won't work?

12. Member
    ultrex

13. Member
    I am using the total scan transducer in the back and hdmi transducer on trolling motor.

14. Member
    Is the cone moving in sync with shaft rotation but is just pointing in the wrong direction?

15. Member
    All Non-brushless Trolling Motors are going to interfere with the Beam Indicator Icon accuracy due to magnetic interference from the magnets in the lower unit of the Trolling Motor. To ensure you are getting the best accuracy of the Beam Indicator Icon, you must mount the transducer as far away from the lower unit as possible.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    So on a Xi5 it won't work?
    I can't answer that since I don't have experience with the Xi5, but as I have been told, the AT transducer has a magnetic sensor embedded in it to aid in the direction cone orientation. In conjunction with a Point-1 for heading, or gps when moving, together these let the direction cone work accurately. However, magnetic interference with the magnetic sensor, or with a Point-1, will disorient the transducer and its direction cone. Motors that are not brushless have magnets in the motor housing that will interfere with the sensor if the sensor is close to the motor. The only guy I know with an Xi5 uses his AT on a separate pole mount.
    ciao,
    Marc

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Worth View Post
    All Non-brushless Trolling Motors are going to interfere with the Beam Indicator Icon accuracy due to magnetic interference from the magnets in the lower unit of the Trolling Motor. To ensure you are getting the best accuracy of the Beam Indicator Icon, you must mount the transducer as far away from the lower unit as possible.
    This is why I was asking the OP what motor he is using and how far away the transducer is mounted (which he has yet to answer). This is likely the source of his problem if all the other stated facts are correct.
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Marc - what transducer are you talking about?

19. Member
    The cone moves when I move head and sometimes moves without my foot on the trolling motor. Its never in the same direction as the head....

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger8470 View Post
    Marc - what transducer are you talking about?
    What I am asking is how far away from your trolling motor housing is your Active Target transducer mounted? the magnets in the Ultrex head will affect the magnetic sensor in the Active Target transducer. You will want to be at least 10" above your motor, higher if possible.

Also, you stated you "updated unit" but I wonder if you realize there is an update for the Active Target (20.3) in addition to the update for your HDS unit (also 20.3)? To be clear, you must update both your HDS and your Active Target with two separate updates that are both 20.3.

The 20.3 update process for the Active Target is the same as what is in my video below, but 20.3 came out since the update in this video:
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast