Update on Vault hub rebuild

This was my first Vault hub rebuild and not much different than repacking regular grease hubs. The only things different was putting RTV sealant on the inner seal and the Vault grease. I hand packed the bearings because I was just not comfortable putting them in dry like recommended by Dexter. The only hiccup was putting the inner brake pad in backwards (fell out ) so I had to take caliper back off and turn that around. My right side of my dual axle trailer seem to run warmer than the left side. Actually the left side is cool and the right is warm. Both axles have brakes. What would cause one side to run warmer than the other side? The side that’s a little warmer is the side I just repaired, but in no way is it hot, just warm. One thing I did according to the Dexter instructions, was to seat the bearings by tightening the nut to 20 ft pounds and then loosen the nut and washer and just re tighten to hand tight. Thanks

2. Member
    Are the calipers on that side dragging slightly and heating up the rotor.

3. Member
    If one side is cool after stopping I would assume it’s not operating. Easy way to check is to compare it to your tow vehicle hubs. Depending on conditions, it may be a little warmer or a little cooler than that but it should be relatively close (usually within 20 degrees or so in my experience). If you didn’t already, I would start with bleeding the brakes and making sure the master cylinder is topped off and go from there.