Does this hole belong?

I traded my 2013 520C boat for a 2021 520C boat that I purchased remotely and had shipped. First thing I noticed was the hole I circled in red that looked like someone accidently drilled a hole in the wrong place. Dealer said that was supposed to be there and sent me a sticker (the kind used to hide the transom bolts) to cover it. I called Ranger to get gel coat so I could fix it and was asked to provide a picture of the hole. The response I got back from Ranger via email was that it should have a "salt and pepper" style plug. I don't recall this on my last boat, but can't say I'm positive. So my question, can someone with a 2021 520C tell me if this hole is supposed to be there please?

Screenshot_20210812-204455_2.png
    Last edited by schinkr1; 09-15-2021 at 12:41 PM.

2. Member
    Looks like there is indeed a hole there ... what kind of, if any, plug is used isn't clear from the Ranger promotional shot however.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.34.18 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Perfect, thank you!

Looks like the black plastic with a small inlet to introduce air into the recirculating pump. "Max air" https://www.desertcart.in/products/2...enturi-fitting

5. Member
    Yes it belongs there should be a 3/4 plastic vent plug goes there you can get one at a hardware store
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    I believe it is for the Max Air Intake. Google search it.

7. Member
    Can't find exactly what they are but the are like a soffit vent. It just allows vapors to escape from bilge area. It's not part of the aerator system.
    Joey Aderhold

8. Member
    picked up my boat and saw the same hole. i about shit. salesman laughed and pulled one off another boat and stuck it in . its just a black plastic vent plug.
    2015 189 trx

Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    picked up my boat and saw the same hole. i about shit. salesman laughed and pulled one off another boat and stuck it in . its just a black plastic vent plug.

And now we know what happened to his........

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    And now we know what happened to his........
    Ha, that's pretty funny, but probably what happened :) Ranger parts said I could get it at any Walmart, but I didn't see any there, Home Depot, Menards, my local marina or True Value. I just emailed them back and asked if they could just send me one.

Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    Ha, that's pretty funny, but probably what happened :) Ranger parts said I could get it at any Walmart, but I didn't see any there, Home Depot, Menards, my local marina or True Value. I just emailed them back and asked if they could just send me one.
    Probably your best bet would be to get one from Ranger or a dealer.... If indeed it's just a vent and I believe it is, I wouldn't be afraid to use the boat the way it is until you get the vented plug. Might not be the best idea to put a sticker over it and cover it as that defeats the purpose of being a vent. More than likely it's to let fumes escape from the bilge area.

Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Can't find exactly what they are but the are like a soffit vent. It just allows vapors to escape from bilge area. It's not part of the aerator system.
    This is correct. I have one on each side of my splash well also, and my boat is an 08 model. Looks like a salt and pepper shaker top. I dont think its sticker though. It might be pressed or snapped in place. There are absolutely no detrimental issues with it not installed.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

13. Member
    My '09 Z520 has one of these "Salt-n-Pepper Shaker" vents on it too. Mine is located in the splash well, but on the wall opposite of the transom. It's a vent. Has small holes in it just like a salt/pepper shaker.

Ordering one is your easiest bet. If not direct, then through a dealer that knows. Or you could make yourself something very similar by getting a plastic cap from Lowes and just putting a few small diameter holes in it.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Under seat there is one also, and in coin box if you have to have one now. But it’s just a bilge vent, they just snap in and hold. I pulled mine and siliconed mine so they will stay in
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

15. Member
    I just looked at mine it is a vent I also noticed you may be missing the rubber bushing on the chrome plate that protect the lines that run threw it.