2011 250 XS issue on hose muffs

2011 250 XS ser.#1B861905 torquemaster lower unit
    Here is my issue, Drop the boat in the lake and motor pisses at idle and 15-20 water pressure at wot and runs fine all day with no problems.
    if I am at home and put in on the hose no water will come out off telltale pisser. All I see is temp rise on smartcraft gauge.
    I’ve even tried taping off the 4 port front water pickup and still no change. But if I submerge lower in a tub of water all is fine. What is going on? My buddy has a 2012 same motor and his does it to. Do I have something failing or am I Ok?

2. Member
    You have a water leak(s) at the muffs/low water pick-up, or you don't have sufficient flow from the garden hose.........Its that simple.

3. Member
    Hmmm that simple?

4. Member
    Yep.....I've connected muffs to a motor thousands of times.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yep.....I've connected muffs to a motor thousands of times.
    Yes sir- with adequate water volume, PIN-STYLE Mercury or Quicksilver Water Supply muffs, and either the low water pickup BRA-COVER (or other suitable cover), there should be no problem achieving IDLE water pressure and flow.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks, Another question I have is what would the maximum safe temperature of engine be while attached to the “flusher muffs” at idle? In other words what is considered hot?

With my motor on muffs, the temp cycles at the same temps as it does on the lake.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    Temperatures should cycle between 120-130

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally we start raising our eyebrows at temps that exceed 145 degrees. With normal/appropriate water supply, they just don't get that high on this engine series unless something is wrong.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor