My 1995 Mercury marine SN OG041892. Alarm issue fix.

Ok Guys, this happened to me, I'm not saying it's a fix for all.my 225 3.0 liter was setting off an alarm above 1500 RPMS. Checked everything. It was all good. So I started digging. Pulled lower unit and found the splines twisted. But never hit anything. Tore the lower unit down and found the drive shaft bearing severely discolored and the roller bearings flat on one side. It was rolling ok cold but when it hot warm or hot it would seize causing the water pump to not pump and cool the engine. Slow it down and the unit would cool and work the water pump to met the cooling. I found this by necessity to change the drive shaft. It's working great now. FIXED. I know some of the smarter guys than I probably already know where to look but I'm just happy I found it.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Certainly possible, but in most circumstances, the owner would have complained of a performance problem as well.

Glad you got it fixed (and gearcase re-shimmed properly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    yes, took me some time, the guy i bought it from gave up on her. thank you very much