Image clarity older gens vs G3/G4

How is the image clarity for older generations vs the g3/g4 units? I have a 9" G4N MSI at my helm and I want to share the transducer with a larger 10-12" screen. Considering a used unit from here to save a few bucks. If I pick up an older generation will I loose clarity. I don't think the resolution on any of them have changed from the generations, perhaps just the signal processing has improved. Like to here thoughts from the experts.

Aaron

There is no difference in sonar performance or the displays.
    The G4N has added Wifi and direct connection for NMEA2000, that's it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I was aware the minor difference between Gen3/4. I was hoping to learn how a 1st or 2nd generation compares. The humminbird compatibility chart shows the G4N transducer can share MSI with most units. Since the helm unit is always on I was thinking about just getting a chirp model with a large screen. I am assuming that since the non-MSI models can display MSI from a shared transducer that means the subscribee is doing the signal processing. Is that a correct assumption?

transducer.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by portman View Post
    Thanks Wayne. I was aware the minor difference between Gen3/4. I was hoping to learn how a 1st or 2nd generation compares. The humminbird compatibility chart shows the G4N transducer can share MSI with most units. Since the helm unit is always on I was thinking about just getting a chirp model with a large screen. I am assuming that since the non-MSI models can display MSI from a shared transducer that means the subscribee is doing the signal processing. Is that a correct assumption?

transducer.JPG

In no case can you select another unit's transducer or share a transducer, you can select the UNIT MODEL that is processing the data to share the processed data to a unit in the Network menu. The sharing chart will show what can be shared between each unit model.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Ok, maybe my wording wasn't very precise. However my statement "The subsribee is doing the signal processing" appears correct per your response. So, if a Gen4 unit is sharing its data and the resolution (pixels) is the same for older units then the image should be identical on an earlier generation. Why is it that the G1 isn't able to display mega data? The subscriber is basically acting like a monitor reproducing the data from the source aka the subscribee.

Thanks
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by portman View Post
    Ok, maybe my wording wasn't very precise. However my statement "The subsribee is doing the signal processing" appears correct per your response. So, if a Gen4 unit is sharing its data and the resolution (pixels) is the same for older units then the image should be identical on an earlier generation. Why is it that the G1 isn't able to display mega data? The subscriber is basically acting like a monitor reproducing the data from the source aka the subscribee.

Thanks
    Aaron
    The subscriber doesn't function as a "monitor", it does its own processing of the shared data. The data is raw data that is controlled by the unit displaying it. The G1 doesn't have the settings for the MEGA frequency or even CHIRP for some models.

If the the subscriber was a monitor, you wouldn't be subscribing to the other unit's data, you would display only what is displayed on the subscribed unit. You can choose other views not being displayed on the subscribed unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    The Gen 1 image clarity is nothing special. Mega imaging came out with the gen 2s. I have a helix 9 g2n and don’t see any need to replace it. The image clarity on my unit is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by philly35 View Post
    The Gen 1 image clarity is nothing special. Mega imaging came out with the gen 2s. I have a helix 9 g2n and don’t see any need to replace it. The image clarity on my unit is awesome.
    Image quality is a result of the frequency, unit power, and transducer size.

The first generation Helix units don't have the MEGA Imaging frequency.
    The second generation Helix units have the MEGA Imaging frequency and a larger transducer.
    The third and forth generation Helix units have the MEGA Imaging frequency, more power and an even larger transducer.
    Imaging piezo additional length produces a thinner Imaging pulse and sharper images.

All four generations of SI and DI models in the 8-15 have 455 and 800 kHz Imaging. MEGA units have the additional frequency.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    There is no difference in sonar performance or the displays.
    The G4N has added Wifi and direct connection for NMEA2000, that's it.
    So the G4 has working WiFi?
    What features options are offered?
    Or is this like the Solix? – yes it has wifi but you can’t connect anything to it?
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    So the G4 has working WiFi?
    What features options are offered?
    Or is this like the Solix? – yes it has wifi but you can’t connect anything to it?
    Helix G4N units have Wifi for some future application.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    What causes the G4N consume more amperage than the G3N ?

Helix 9 chirp GPS G3N power draw 1 amps
    Helix 9 chirp GPS G4N power draw 2.4 amps
    Helix 12 chirp mega si+ GPS G3N power draw 1.75 amps
    Helix 12 chirp mega si+ GPS G4N power draw 3.2 amps

12. Member
    Not sure the difference reasons, but not sure where you got your 9 gps G3n number. the current Helix manual says 1.9 not 1. The G4n is 2.4 as you stated
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    It does not agree with the current helix manual. Link:https://879dd651a809fc1b59de-035169d...4%20Manual.pdf Page 281. If you look at the others 1 amp seems to low also. Answer is still I don't know why the keep going up. Maybe faster processors? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go