Lithium 36volt and 12volt ?

I was thinking of adding lithium batteries. Here is my setup.

Ranger Z521C
    Verado Pro 250
    Lowrance Ghost 52" trolling motor
    Lowrance live 16 console
    Lowrance live 16 bow
    Lowrance Active Target bow
    radio, live wells, lights ect

#1 The verado will have its own AGM battery with nothing else on it.

#2 I would like to get a single 36 volt lithium battery that would run the ghost for 12 hours + under normal conditions. I do not run in current but do spend time fishing deep on east texas lakes.

#3 I would like a single 12 volt lithium battery to serve as the house battery. It would run everything other than the trolling motor, and verado.

I have been to all the major lithium battery sites, read their stuff and still confused LOL.

My question, to accomplish items #2 & #3 what AH battery would not only work, but work well ?

I can get a 12 volt 200 AH lithium...........is that over kill ? Not enough ?
    I can get a 36volt 120 AH lithium..........is that over kill ? Not enough ?

Of course you can have them built with more AH provided you have the space on the boat. For example, the 200AH 12v is approximately 19.5"X10"X9", the 36 volt is about the same.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated ? This is not brand specific...................just a question about AH being enough.

Thanks

2. Member
    I just upgraded to 1-12V 125AH as my house battery that also includes cranking my 250 HPDI. I am running 2-Carbon 12's, 1- Live 12, Live sight, and 3D sidescan. My TM is a 112 Ultrex that I have on a single 36V 50AH battery. I have a Stealth1 onboard system with a NOCO GenPro single 10 amp onboard system for shore charging in place of my Minn Kota 460PC. I fish Toledo Bend and have not had a problem with battery life. I removed 200 lbs from my boat going to this setup. Made a HUGE difference in how my Skeeter 20i performs out of the hole. I also have dual Powerpole blades running off the 12V and a stereo, although I don't use that much!

3. Member
    Most fishermen will be fine with 50 ah to 100 ah for the trolling motor. If you want 36 v battery, consider you will need a special charger. I would get 2 smaller 30 to 40 ah 36 volt batteries wired in series. 2 36 v 30 ah in series would give you a total of 60 ah. That way if one battery had an issue or failure, you could keep fishing until you could get a replacement for the bad battery.

I would gather to say the majority of people do not need 100ah TM batts. Especially when considering lithium, since they don't drop off till they are dead. Maybe if rivers with alot of current are in your future maybe 100ah batts.

I fish 10 and 12 hr days in wind and waves with my 75 ah lead acid batts have and never had an issue.

Now your starting battery is another issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Most fishermen will be fine with 50 ah to 100 ah for the trolling motor. If you want 36 v battery, consider you will need a special charger. I would get 2 smaller 30 to 40 ah 36 volt batteries wired in series. 2 36 v 30 ah in series would give you a total of 60 ah. That way if one battery had an issue or failure, you could keep fishing until you could get a replacement for the bad battery.
    I agree with the two smaller 36 volt batteries if you have the room or need the reliability. I still run a 2 stroke motor and needed more room in the bilge area. You an purchase an Ionic 12/36 charger for your batteries. I chose the onboard Stealth1 charging system with a one bank NOCO for shore charging. The Stealth1 converts the charging profile for my 36V battery and eliminates the need for a special charger. Charging while running also gives me more confidence that my 36V battery will last all day. Think of my system as a PP Charge without the big price tag!

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I would gather to say the majority of people do not need 100ah TM batts. Especially when considering lithium, since they don't drop off till they are dead. Maybe if rivers with alot of current are in your future maybe 100ah batts.
    I fish the St Lawrence in the spring and summer and Toledo Bend in the fall and winter. This is the main reason I'm upgrading my 50Ah lithiums to 100 Ah lithiums. There is no advance warning when they are about to die and when they do die on these large bodies of water it really sucks.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 09-15-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Keep in mind that the Yandina Trollbridge 36-Lithium only works with three 12 volt Lithium batteries. It can charge using available capacity from alternators rated at up to 100 amps allowing the use of lower amp-hour rated batteries and making most installations independent of shore power.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    Keep in mind that the Yandina Trollbridge 36-Lithium only works with three 12 volt Lithium batteries. It can charge using available capacity from alternators rated at up to 100 amps allowing the use of lower amp-hour rated batteries and making most installations independent of shore power.
    Great point about the Yandina system. I should also point out that the Stealth1 can charge a 24V system.

Each systems has its advantages.

http://yandina.com/Which%20Trollbrid...20I%20Need.php

http://www.stealth1charging.com/

9. Member
    Good stuff , keep it coming. Thanks

10. Member
    I would not run a single 36volt trolling motor battery; two in parallel, yes, but never a single battery. If it dies, you are SOL for as long as it takes to get a replacement. I just wrote an extensive article for WesternBass.com winter magazine, but if you cannot wait I suggest calling Danny Roberts at Stealth 1 Charging (board sponsor) if you would like a great education and options for your needs.

I am running a lithium 100 aHR with starting BMS for a house battery, an X2 AGM for starting battery, and 3 100 aHr lithium trolling batteries with a Ghost motor. If one dies, I can switch to 24 volts, or go buy a cheap 12v lead acid battery from Walmart to substitute until I can replace the lithium. Use a jump start switch and Stealth 1 gauge and you are ready for anything. All 5 batteries are charged by my Stealth 1 charger (AC and DC).
    http://www.stealth1charging.com/
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    If you wire 2-36 volt batteries in series you will have 30AH at 72 volts! Parallel would give you 36v at 60 ah.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I fish the St Lawrence in the spring and summer and Toledo Bend in the fall and winter. This is the main reason I'm upgrading my 50Ah lithiums to 100 Ah lithiums. There is no advance warning when they are about to die and when they do die on these large bodies of water it really sucks.
    How many times has that happened? 50ah would make me worry too.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    How many times has that happened? 50ah would make me worry too.
    Three times on the St Lawrence. When I bought the 50Ah lithiums I didn't live here and the waters I fished 99% of the time were small natural lakes and I could go 2 days on a charge.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I would not run a single 36volt trolling motor battery; two in parallel, yes, but never a single battery. If it dies, you are SOL for as long as it takes to get a replacement. [/URL]
    100 percent correct