Thread: Heading Hold

Banned

Heading Hold

How are you liking heading hold on the Force? I had a Terrova, and used Auto pilot all the time. One of the most important things to me. I must being doing something wrong. There is no chance, it will go where you point the TM, the way I am doing it. Very difficult. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Following.

With my Terrova, I would set the heading hold and the trolling motor would continue to point in that direction, no matter how the boat moved or swung around behind it. It was great. I could set it in a general direction and only make minor adjustments every so often (and it would continue to hold the new heading without having to reset the hold).

With the Force, I am not sure what it is trying to do. Garmin Tech Support claims one of the modes (GoTo or Vessel Align) does what I described above. But, in either mode, as soon as you touch the heading hold, the motor points dead ahead off the bow (i.e., aligning with the boat's heading). I get the idea of "boat heading hold" and I am guessing that is what one of the modes is trying to do, but both modes seem to do the same thing. I would love to find out how to do a "Trolling motor heading hold." With the "boat heading hold," unless your boat is pointed directly where you want to go, it is not very helpful.

Todd - Perhaps we can get Garmin to add a third option "Trolling Motor Align"???
    Last edited by cldtx; 09-15-2021 at 02:24 PM.

3. Member
    The ipilot has an independent compass in the trolling motor head for auto pilot as well as the GPS in the head. The HS puck is for other uses(jog and such). It might not be the same setup in the Force. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

As you may already be aware, there are two options: vessel align and go to. The default is “Go To”. In “Go To” mode it will go wherever the boat is pointed when the button is pressed. So if you are pointed at a tree on the bank, it should hit that tree regardless of wind. In “Vessel Align” mode, it will keep the vessel heading constant, so if there is a lot of wind your boat should still face the same direction, but may drift sideways.

Another option is the gesture feature in the remote. If the remote is calibrated, you can point the remote where you want to go and press and hold the heading hold button. The remote direction will then be used for the heading hold feature. So if you point at a dock across the lake, even if it is to the side of your boat, and then press and hold the heading hold button, it will take your boat to the dock in “Go To” mode.
    Garmin Pro Team