Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BTW... Rhonda does keep these bolts in stock (at present we've sold ONE to a mail-order customer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Add me to the list of this happening - Trim pin got loose causing what OP described (although not as violent) and had backed out enough that the Bolt came down on the Trim Motor breeching the housing and causing me to miss being able to get to what I believed were winning fish in a BFL - had to fish within sight of the ramp as the motor froze 10 seconds before Steve called “Boat #1” (I was boat 10).

3. Member
    Had this issue on my 2022 4 stroke. Called mercury this morning they are apparently still not aware of this issue and have no service bulletin out. How has mercury allowed this to happen for almost two years without any notification to the customer?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker907 View Post
    Had this issue on my 2022 4 stroke. Called mercury this morning they are apparently still not aware of this issue and have no service bulletin out. How has mercury allowed this to happen for almost two years without any notification to the customer?
    Serial Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Serial Number?
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1212923
    made a post before I found this thread. 3B139652

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker907 View Post
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1212923
    made a post before I found this thread. 3B139652
    This needs to be inspected by an authorized dealer. Your attachment didn't show, so can't see exactly what you're pinpointing.

If it's the set screw, the crosspin has to be reset to the correct location, NEW setscrew installed with red liquid loctite (and torqued to PRECISELY the correct spec).

You should not have lost any fluid when using the manual relief valve PROPERLY. If you lost fluid, there's a chance that the screw and/or o-rings are now compromised.

Part# 8M0177279

Verify dimple in crosspin is properly centered in set screw opening.

Install new set screw with RED LIQUID LOCTITE (do NOT re-use old screw).

Torque to 32 Nm (23.6 lbs/ft). 24 lbs/ft will be fine, but do not attempt to tighten further at ANY time in the future.

7. Member
    Why can't mercury do something easy like the screw on your reel handle? A set screw or some sort of device that doesn't let it back out. This seems like a very easy fix.

I've seen the zip tie method, but you could probably put gorilla tape over the screw as well.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    Why can't mercury do something easy like the screw on your reel handle? A set screw or some sort of device that doesn't let it back out. This seems like a very easy fix.
    You do realize that this IS the "Set Screw", right?

9. Member
    I hope I am not jinking myself but I got a new one from European marine about 4 months ago and not got a lot of time on it but so far so good!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567