Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    That is correct. .5" of thread then about .75" of smaller smooth pin that just sticks in cross shaft. Only .5" of thread that is load bearing.
    So replacement of that pin with a bolt from lowes doesn't seem right to me....would a bolt even do tbe job of that pin without the threadless reduced diameter at the end??

2. Member
    Word on the street is 5/16-24 x1/2 stainless bolt with two threads shaved off end fit. It's not ideal but when the part is back ordered for a month it allows one to still fish.

MikesExpress and I were talking about this last night. Wonder if aircraft safety wire would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    MikesExpress and I were talking about this last night. Wonder if aircraft safety wire would work?

5. Member
    If I ran that motor, I'd safety wire it, no question.

6. Member
    I think the safety wire is a good call.
    where would you secure the other end of the safety wire? Around the main post just below the bolt head?
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

7. Member
    right around the cylinder rod end

Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    I think the safety wire is a good call.
    where would you secure the other end of the safety wire? Around the main post just below the bolt head?

8. Member
    right around the cylinder rod end
    That's what I was thinking. I made a rudimentary sketch below from the image in the other post:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

My cable tie technique has worked well for me and takes 30 seconds for peace of mind
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    My cable tie technique has worked well for me and takes 30 seconds for peace of mind
    Can you get a pic of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    Can you get a pic of this?
    I can email or send to your cell but can’t seem to get pics on here

I can se em here, thx!

14. Member
    If those tyraps are staying the safety wire idea will work good. Used to do lots of safety wiring on small cessnas, not that hard and very effective
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

15. mikesxpress
    Joseph still experienced the bolt backing out even after applying Lock-Tite. Without actually safety wiring the bolt head (aircraft format) it's can still back out with the tie wraps as nothing is keeping it from turning. Normal aircraft safety wiring format could be modified to work here if:
    1. The head thickness is substantial enough to allow for a drilled hole.
    2. You have an adequate location to secure the safety wire where it will result in constant tension against the bolt.

Example for multiple propeller bolts.

Why the cable tie works and there are many methods to create bolt locking devices, is it’s simple, takes 30 seconds, you don’t remove or disturb the bolt and it simply can’t fall out and be lost, causing the failures currently being reported.
    It works fine for me and if I were at a ramp, and had 3 day tourney or a long run ahead, a cable tie will work for you.
    Do whatever you think works for you, this works for me

So to remove this bolt to add a new one with a lock washer does the motor have to be supported to relieve the tension on the bolt? My engine with just a hair over 10 hours was backed out 1 full turn, and when I tried to loosen it even further I could feel resistance which leads me to believe the weight has to be taken off or minimized so the bolt can come out freely?

18. Member
    It does not have to be supported to do this. I ALWAYS SUPPORT IT JUST FOR SAFETY REASONS!
    With the pin loose or out, DO NOT USE TRIM, the cross shaft is indexed to the pin with just a dimple in the cross shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    So to remove this bolt to add a new one with a lock washer does the motor have to be supported to relieve the tension on the bolt? My engine with just a hair over 10 hours was backed out 1 full turn, and when I tried to loosen it even further I could feel resistance which leads me to believe the weight has to be taken off or minimized so the bolt can come out freely?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I tried but Don's parts look up is blocked on my computer and phone for "not secure site"
    That's simply because it is not an "https" site, as there is no financial or personal information stored there. Same thing happens with BBC on my browser.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Way to much force in multiple direction on two independent pieces with maybe 6-8 fine threads.

I have never heard of a tri-lobe pin failure that had not been worked on. I'm sure it's one of those one time use type of deals.

I do know when this new style threaded pin falls out and there is no trim feed back to the PCM YOU CAN TRIM IT TO THE MOON, ACTULLY TRIM/TILT THE PROP RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER AT 6000 RPM!

I now know what my Sterling needs to run properly with this 250 Pro XS 4s! Trim extenders or a set of positive trim wedges!

First and foremost- what you described is only ONE possible scenario. It's also possible that the trim may read HIGH, and prevent the engine from accelerating since the PCM would view that as an "over-trim" condition.

The best rule of thumb is to not attempt operating if or when you become aware that there is a problem in this area. Obviously- with you stuck on the water, you will do what you need to in order to get back to port.

Wedges and trim extenders are not approved for use with your engine. See engine installation instructions, and warranty/exclusions section of owner's manual for details.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast