AVX181/AVX189 Questions

Hi guys. I'm new here. I'm buying my first boat. I have been fishing off my 3 close friends boats for years. They all own different types of boats. Bass, river jet, deep v. I know what I like and I also know what I can handle and don't feel I can handle. I deff know I want a bass rig. I would love to have a jet so I can use it in the river where I live but I just don't think I can handle the maintenance of a jet. But for the type of fishing we do weekly I know a bass boat will be perfect for myself and my family.

I started my search wanting a 16 boot only. Then the y'all said its way too small and started having me load and unload their boats which are all 17-18' 10" rigs. I am fairly confident I can handle an 18 foot boat. So I started to look.

I have poured over the G3 sportsman 1710, XPress H18, X18, and now recently Vexus.

I am going to look at a 1880 this weekend to see the build quality. I have talked with the local rep who was so helpful. He answered a ton of questions. So I found this site today and figured I would join to research more and ask some questions.

I would be perfectly happy with the 181 but the biggest gripe I have with it is the rod locker. It's just a bay on the side of the boat. How do you guys that have rod lockers like this keep the rods organized and not get all tangled up? Can you add organizers to this type of design or is it impossible due to its design and placement. I know I can step up to the 189 and have that storage but then I might as well go to a 1880 but them the boat just keeps getting longer and longer. I know the xpress h18 is the same design. I only wanted a 17 footer to begin with. so i just keep getting longer and longer and more and more expensive. I also really don't need a 115 motor. I would be perfectly happy with a 60-90 hp for the area I live in. I don't live very close to large bodies of lake water. I just don't think I need that large of a boat. 18' 3" is still a lot of space. wit the 181 but I'm kinda hung up on the rod locker thing.

Can anyone give me some advice on options for the inside of that locker? also any advice from owners is appreciated. Eve regarding my choices that I have been looking at. The Vexus is going to be a 8-10 grand jump from G3. XPress because I'm looking at 2 different models the prices are really spread. I'm waiting on prices but I'm assuming the x18 xpress is going to be more than a 1880 maybe.

I can't wait to look at the Vexus this weekend. I am also very very impressed with how nice the rep has been. G3 you can't tack to anyone but dealers. Xpress the same, but the 2 dealers I have spoken with have been very helpful.

Thanks everyone.

jim

2. Member
    The rod locker issue is an easy fix. Just buy you some of these to go over your rods. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_...page-TRGC.html

Actually, most fishermen nowadays would consider not having rod tubes a bonus as you can fit more rods into the same area without the tubes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    The rod locker issue is an easy fix. Just buy you some of these to go over your rods. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_...page-TRGC.html

Actually, most fishermen nowadays would consider not having rod tubes a bonus as you can fit more rods into the same area without the tubes.
    I just had a dealer tell me the exact same thing. I just always figured having them organized in tubes issue much easier and cleaner. I appreciate the answer. That was my 1 thought for a fix, but I didn't know if there were actual organizers for that kinda design out there.

I pulled the organizer out of my old Triton glass boat many years ago. The organizer in my 1880 is fine but I wish there was a clean way to get it out.

What I did for easy rod identification is rod socks in different colors; regular casting rods, cranking rods and spinning rods each in their own color socks. Then neoprene reel covers to cut down on the rash.

I used to carry 16-18 rods in my old boat but am down to 12 or so in the 1880. I still use the rod socks and reel covers. I got so used to the color coding I couldn't go back.

And as an aside, most of the rod organizers are not as secure as you would think. I haven't had the 1880 in rough water but the old Triton saw a bunch. When I'd get to the ramp the rods would be in the tubes but there were usually rod handles/reels in the bottom of the locker from where the wave jostled them out.

5. Member
    The more I’m thinking about it the more I’m not thinking it’s much of an issue. For me to go from a loaded g3 to even a 181 is going to be 7 grand. And if I decide to go up to a 1880 (which I feel is too much boat for me) I’m 10-12 grand more. The numbers are getting silly.

once I go look at the 1880 this Friday I’ll know exactly what I want to do I think. I really think the 181 will be good for me. I just don’t know if going down to a 70 merc or Yamaha is going to really be a big step down from the 90sho on the g3. I personally don’t think I need a 115 that’s on the 1880. Like I said I live near one larger body of water. I see guys fishing all the time with smaller motors. They do just fine. I really don’t need to go 50 mph. Personally it still scares the crud out of me. That’s just me though. I just don’t want to buy that 181 and then deal with it struggling to get up on plane or other issues. I would assume if they fit it with the 70 it’s because it’s the proper motor for it.

from how I understand it the 1880 yes is a different layout but build quality on it is the same as the 181.

The build quality is Vexus build quality I’m sure but I haven’t personally seen a 181. The hulls are of a very different design.

I started looking at the 189 knowing that both boats were laid out differently and had different hull design. I test drove both back to back at my dealer the 189 with a Zuk and the 1880 with a Merc I believe. I drove the 189 first and it came out of the hole as if launched on an aircraft carrier catapult and rode great for the glorified Jon boat that it is. The 1880/Merc didn’t have as good of a hole shot but rode so well when we tied the boat up I told the salesman “you just sold a boat, now I gotta figure out what I want on it”.

I didn’t really need the 1880 either but the price difference from the 189 wasn’t too stupid and the ride of the 1880 made up for it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    The build quality is Vexus build quality I’m sure but I haven’t personally seen a 181. The hulls are of a very different design.

I started looking at the 189 knowing that both boats were laid out differently and had different hull design. I test drove both back to back at my dealer the 189 with a Zuk and the 1880 with a Merc I believe. I drove the 189 first and it came out of the hole as if launched on an aircraft carrier catapult and rode great for the glorified Jon boat that it is. The 1880/Merc didn’t have as good of a hole shot but rode so well when we tied the boat up I told the salesman “you just sold a boat, now I gotta figure out what I want on it”.

I didn’t really need the 1880 either but the price difference from the 189 wasn’t too stupid and the ride of the 1880 made up for it.

thanks for that reply. I appreciate it. I can't test rive either. I wish I could but I can't. I'm not eve considering the 189 at this point cause even the 181 is above where I wanted to be so going all the way up to the 1880 puts me like 10-12 over where I was before vexus came in the mix. I have to cut myself off somewhere. I'm not tournament fishing. 80% of the summer I will be on electric motor only lakes. I literally live by 3 unlimited HP lakes. 1 of them which is the largest I do love to fish. 189 with the 90 would be really nice though. again. . . I got to cut myself off somewhere. I watches a few walkthrough videos of the 181 last night. It looks really nice.

8. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Jimim

The AVX181 is great boat and a great value. you should be able to handle this boat with no issues.
    if you have question please PM me and we can get them answered for you.

-Steve Clark

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Jimim

The AVX181 is great boat and a great value. you should be able to handle this boat with no issues.
    if you have question please PM me and we can get them answered for you.

-Steve Clark
    PM sent!

10. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    PM sent!

PM Answered

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    PM Answered
    thanks again!

12. Member
    I looked at the 1880 last night. Got to see an other one with the poly floor too.

wow awesome boats. Deff a nice step up from everything else I have checked out. And what I have been looking at are also great but there is a lot more thought going on in these boats. And I’m sure if I stepped up further more than these even.

anyway it was a very positive experience.

The console layout is awesome.
    Live well is great. Nicest I have seen. I can only imagine how awesome the one on the glass boats are.
    seats are really nice.
    poly floor is a must in 2021 I feel.
    having no tank in the back gives u all kinda extra room in the back.
    haing all the motor wires routed through a conduit like a larger boat motor is going to be nice.
    the cleats are great how they fold in. Nice touch.
    the middle storage box vs third seat. I like that. The third seat is always folded down and not used so might as well have more storage
    the plug switch. That’s pretty cool.

some things about the 181 that I know im going to like and the added value of them being standard
    stainless prop
    hydrologic steer
    intergrated front safety lights. Only 1 light now to trip over once it gets light out and you are too lazy to put it away.
    nav light switch up front. Other boats I looked at didn’t have this.

All in all I think I’m making a good choice. Just have to settle up on electronics and make sure I don’t want to add the slide seat. I’m pretty short.

ultrex mdi for sure.
    helix 8 msi+ at console for sure

might bring boat in with nothing up front and fish it for part of the season to see what I want to do. See how much room I feel I have up there. See what happens with live view over next year vs 360. I really don’t know yet.

I have to get on another guys boat we fish with to see 360 in more action.

dealer in my area is also the nicest place we have been to also. They are very nice. Engaged. Gave solid advice. Knew everything I was asking instantly.

ok time to get on the road to get on the water. Hopefully some eyes in the live well today.