Thread: New rods

New rods

Looking for you all opinion looking to get some new rods under 150. I am currently looking at the Lews custom speed stick and the tp1 black speed stick and David fritts cranking rod .

2. Member
    There are many good rods at that price range. It sounds like you are a Lews fan, but you should look at some of the others. Daiwa, Denali, Falcon, Fitzgerald, St. Croix, Shimano, and many others.

Don't overlook ARK Rods. I've been really impressed with all I have tried. I now own 9 of them and don't feel I'm giving up a single thing over $300 rods. Brian.

The Daiwa Tatula TTU series is an excellent value and in your price range.

5. Member
    I have tried favorite and falcon rods but have broke a couple not saying that it was completely the rod fault but I bought 2 lew combos 2 years ago when got into fishing and have treated them pretty rough and have not had the first issue out of them is why I’m looking at them again

6. Member
    I would be looking at the St Croix Mojo series. I haven’t been a fan of Lews TP1 rods. I have a TP1 spinning rod that just sits in my room collecting dust for the past few years. I just hate the reel seat and handle
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Most of my rods are in that range.
    St. Croix Mojo Bass is decent. Some models are really heavy. Some are good.
    Abu Garcia Veritas is a good rod for $100.
    iRod Genesis. $150 I really like them, lightweight and well made. But there's one thing that might be considered a "downside". The casting rods all seem to run a bit heavy. They will do best on the upper half of the weight range. Plus, for a $150 rod, they have a lifetime no fault replacement. $40 plus $20 for shipping and you get a new one, even if it was your fault. Not many rods in that range offer that.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

8. Member
    Falcon Lowrider and Bucoo, iRod Genesis III, Okuma TCS and EVX, Fenwick HMG to add a few more. Lots of decent choices at $100-$150. I've read very good things about the Lew's TP1, but have no experience with one. I like my Ark Tharp and the Invoker Pro seems like a good rod although no experience with it either.

9. Member
    Definitely give the St. Croix Mojo bass series a try. They used to be heavier, but changed in 2016 and are much lighter and more sensitive now. Backed a with a 5 year warranty. The bassX is also really good for around $110. Sometimes you can find dealers with better prices. My local boat dealer actually gives the best prices on St. Croix, but doesn't stock a ton. Might be able to find the right deal on an Avid series and get the 15 year warranty.

10. Member
    In the price range, I like the Shimano Intenzas

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Daiwa Tatula TTU series is an excellent value and in your price range.
    Haven't fished the TTU's but the basic tatula rod is a heck of a rod in that price range in terms of quality of the blank and actions. They also have fuji guides which are hard to find in that price range. I also like the Phenix feather which is a bit over your price ragne but beware of their warranty which is garbage.

Daiwa Tatula would be my choice. I have a wide range of rods(Loomis, Steez), and the Tatulas are exceptional for the price point.

13. Member
    How is the sensitivity of the Tatula Rods ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Excellent overall at their price point. Steez AGS sensitive? No, but far better than a lot of $200+ rods I've fished.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Daiwa Tatula would be my choice. I have a wide range of rods(Loomis, Steez), and the Tatulas are exceptional for the price point.
    I agree 100%. They are without a doubt one of the best sub $200 rod lines on the market, I'd say in fact the best, but that goes nowhere fast They are my top recommendation for guys wanting to put about $150 "ish" in a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Haven't fished the TTU's but the basic tatula rod is a heck of a rod in that price range in terms of quality of the blank and actions. They also have fuji guides which are hard to find in that price range.
    The "TTU" is just part of the model. They are the ones I linked in blue above. The current model cork handled Tatula rods that are in that $149.99 to $179.99 type price range depending on model.

15. Member
    Another one here that has rods from multiple manufacturers, powell, dobyns, st. croix, etc. Recently the last couple years I have picked up a few tatula casting and spinning rods and they grew on me QUICKLY! To the point I want to purchase more when they come back in stock. They make a fantastic stick for that price range, can’t go wrong.

16. Member
    I've tried so many different rods in the last 3-4 years it's hard to keep up. I keep coming back to the Daiwa Tatula and Powell Endurance over and over for my work horse rods.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    I think it is excellent for the price point. I would compare to rods I have fished as equal to IMX, legend tournaments, and zolos.

I really like the rods from Ark
    i have replace some of my high end rods with these affordable rods

19. Member
    Do not go with Lews rods. Lews reels are fine. Tons of options better than Lews rods. I would look into the ALX Ikos lineup.