Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What brand of bacon and sausage do you prefer

Bacon is the hard one. It is tough to find consistent bacon. It can be paper thin, uneven cut, more fat than meat, curls up when you cook it. Costco brand has been great since I went to it. Stays pretty flat very consistent and taste good.
    Lucky during the cooler months I don't have to buy sausage. I know enough people that kill their own hogs and make sausage and they bring it to me. Same with livermush. Then in the warm months we eat a lot of canned sausage and deep sausage. Wife has an uncle that grinds bear meat up and mixes it in with pork and deep that's good. Grocery store brand I use is Tenn Pride when I have to get it in a store
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2. Member
    Local meat market “schmidtsmeatmarket.com” is where we get all our bacon and processed sausage, links, brats. Everything done in house and their bacon is awesome
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    We get our bacon from local butcher shop. It is thick cut and has really good flavor. When it comes to sausage we. 99.9% of the time, eat Tennessee Pride and prefer the hot. We have another local butcher that makes their own sausage that we'll use in a pinch.

You're right about the bacon. It can be hard to find good stuff. As far as sausages go, we have a couple of locally owned meat processors that will buy from when possible. If we don't go there, we'll usually get Johnsonville products.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

I get whatever bacon is on sale, which is usually Smithfield since there are multiple plants near me. Sausage either bob evans or Tennessee pride.

6. Member
    I get the lower sodium from Costco, the Kirkland brand, does the job just fine.

Breakfast sausage I try to get Bob Evans, next is Jimmy Den. The Bob Evans has more fat in it for making gravy or cooking eggs.

7. Member
    I stick with Costco (Kirkland).

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I always buy the Wegmans brand thick cut.

You guys ever put your dry rub on the bacon and cook in the oven or smoker. SOOOOO good. I use killer hog on the bacon, it's
    Thanos was the hero

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I always buy the Wegmans brand thick cut.

You guys ever put your dry rub on the bacon and cook in the oven or smoker. SOOOOO good. I use killer hog on the bacon, it's
    I like the sound of that, might have to give it a smoke
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I get whatever bacon is on sale, which is usually Smithfield since there are multiple plants near me. Sausage either bob evans or Tennessee pride.
    I go with Wright Brand if I eat bacon. It’s delicious and meaty unlike so much of the cheap crap. For you guys buying Smithfield, keep in mind you are supporting the Chinese government. Their website spins it to show that it is a company based in Hong Kong however I don’t think that is totally true.

https://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Our-Ownership-Structure

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/ch...owned-wh-group

I saw “Hickory Country” bacon for $2.75/lb. (not 12 oz) at a local store a few months ago. Grabbed a couple packs and it was surprisingly good. Went back the next day and got 30 more pounds.

About a year ago I grabbed some pork bellies from the Asian market and cured my own. Really simple. Cracked pepper, a little salt, brown sugar. Wrapped it up and put it in the fridge for 2 weeks. Put it in the smoker for a bit. It was outstanding! Just took too much time and I don’t use bacon all that much except for soups and potato/noodle salads. My supply will last a while.

12. Member
    Price is the issue now. My wife had been purchasing great bacon at Sam’s. I think she said it more than doubled in price lately.

13. Member
    Bacon from the local butcher shop and Jimmy Dean for sausage. I once forgot to stop and get the bacon for ours men's monthly prayer breakfast and just grabbed some cheap bacon from Walmart. That was more then six years ago and I still get 4 or 5 texts on Friday morning before the prater breakfast on Saturday reminding me not to forget the butcher shop bacon.
    John the Garage Doorman

Local butcher shop

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    The type I make

16. Member
    I make my own bacon. I cure and smoke about 5 lbs, its last me about a year and I give some away to friends and family. Making sausage is on my list of things to do, but I haven't gotten to it, yet.

When I can find it Blue and Gold sausage, if you know anyone in the FFA they usually sell it for a fund raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I make my own bacon. I cure and smoke about 5 lbs, its last me about a year and I give some away to friends and family. Making sausage is on my list of things to do, but I haven't gotten to it, yet.
    If you only want to make a pound or so, use a food processor. I made some Italian a couple weeks ago. Tossed all the ingredients into the machine and it was done in seconds.

19. Member
    If you have a smoker, bacon is easy to make and you have the freedom to flavor it any way you want. Ive made Chipotle/maple, brown sugar and just plain salt and cracked black pepper.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

20. Member
    Tennessee Pride Hot for sausage, whatever brand of lower sodium bacon I can find, usually Kroger. I need to try the dry rubbed bacon on the smoker!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast