Thread: Tire pressure

Tire pressure

What tire pressure y'all running on Carlisle 14 on skeeter fx21 tandem. Cree

My go to pressure on most every tire unless I'm running the tire maxed out to it's rated wt capacity is 5 lbs under the max printed on side of tire.
    It's worked for me !

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My go to pressure on most every tire unless I'm running the tire maxed out to it's rated wt capacity is 5 lbs under the max printed on side of tire.
    It's worked for me !
    Why 5lbs low?

Quote Originally Posted by gohoos2011 View Post
    Why 5lbs low?
    Depending on your tire/rig combo you could have 8K plus pounds of tire capacity but only maybe 3800-4000 lbs being towed. better ride and tire life life if you run pressure matched to the load with a + 25% cushion. I know Goodyear has a pressure chart for tire size and weight carried.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by gohoos2011 View Post
    Why 5lbs low?
    Road heat will normally raise it. Plus I've had a few sets of tires that wore in the middle of tread due to pressure.
    Also a search of some tire manufactures will give the recommended pressure for GVW and its only maxed out when wt is max load. Which all of mine are normally well under capacity.

I have always run trailer tires at max pressure . I will have to go see what Goodyear says about load on these Endurance I just put on . I know 65psi is a lot for a 21 foot boat with a tandem axle trailer . Just looked at Goodyear’s chart and I am going to lower these tires . Not a lot of difference in weight lowering them 5 psi

Quote Originally Posted by jfishin4u View Post
    What tire pressure y'all running on Carlisle 14 on skeeter fx21 tandem. Cree
    What is the Load Range rating on your tires?

8. mikesxpress
    Tire pressures are a random guesstimate. The tire manufacturer and truck/car/boat trailer OEM's are also a guesstimate. None of them have any idea on what load you are actually applying or weather conditions (hot/cold) you are going to be running at. Full load of fuel and gear also makes a big difference. The only accurate way to determine the best pressure throughout the year is to chalk test the tires. I've done this for many years for my vehicles/trailer and established outdoor temperature guidelines as to when I adjust the pressure. This process gives you maximum longevity/performance of your tires. I found an excellent video showing the process:

9. Member
    Is it sad that I never knew about the 'chalk test' ...... but as someone who always has slightly muddy tires I figured out the same observation years ago. You might be Country if .......
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci