2019 MERC 250 PRO XS 4s POOR PERFORMANCE….SLOW ?????

2019 ranger with 250 4s poor performance
    60 mph max speed
    5400 max rpm
    23 fury…correct prop with no issues
    atlas plate….tried all different heights
    motor sounds good and seems to run smooth
    Anyone else had same issue or know what the issue may be ???
    Will be taking to dealer for service ,thank you
    2017 NITRO Z21
    250 MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLE BLADES
    LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    PRECISION SONAR MOUNTS

Based on the specs of Mercury's website it appears you need to be within the 5600 - 6200 RPM range. Of course I cannot give you exact information because you have not started if it is a ProXS and you haven't posted your serial number of the engine.

Based on the info I have at access to (which may or may not be right) it would almost seem as if the issue is actually an over pitched prop issue and you may need to go with a 21 Fury if that's design type prop you want to stay with. However, being that you have a very large prop and they are VERY expensive the bigger the motor I would consult with your nearest dealer and check to see if they offer a loaner program so you can try out a 21 pitch before you go out and just buy one. I would also use Mercury's prop selector web page just to confirm that the RPM range it will put you in will be one that will not put you in an overrev condition, though I doubt it will.

Better to be on the hotter side of the RPM range than the lower as it will ensure you are making the rated power your engine is at that RPM. As has been mentioned in other threads, it is a good baseline to go off, but it's not gospel (albeit I found their info matched my RPM output dead to rights for my setup, speed was pretty darn close too).

Don't expect to go much faster with a 21 foot boat though. My buddy's 20 footer glass boat has a 225 ProXS and he can go no faster than 63 MPH.

I'll let some others chime in, but I think this is pretty good initial info for you to go off of.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

First question. Has the throttle (demand linear) been set by computer ?

4. Member
    Second first question engine serial number is?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Not sure what 2019 Ranger you're running (520/521, L/C) but something surely isn't right given the numbers you're getting. The best setup on the boat in my siggy is motor height of 2.75 below pad and a true pitched 23P Fury 3 blade. I don't run a hot foot and my boat with twin 8' blades, dual console, Ghost TM and 4 group 31 batteries (non lithium) has ran 73.5 at 6150 RPM solo before I ran out of water. I know under the right conditions mine is a 74 and change boat and I've heard of others getting 75 with theirs.

If you have a hotfoot, its all about a correct demand linear setting, correct motor height and having the prop true pitched. Motor of course needs to be healthy as well.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's start here:

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Also, have you had the engine put on the G3 Diagnostic System and confirmed for CERTAIN that you are reaching 100% Demand Linear at WOT?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor