Wes England “we baits”

Not sure if it’s been posted if so my apologies, Wes England passed away today he was the maker of the “we bait” balsa Crankbait, a staple in the Ky Ind and Ohio area and others, RIP Wes thank you for what you did.

Wes was a legend. I just saw this on Facebook and thought that I’d share.

Posted by Trey Epich:

My friend Peter Simmons told me this story a couple years ago involving the late greats Wes England and Ed Chambers. I’ll try and do it justice, as Ed told Peter this story.

Apparently Ed and Wes were friendly. They occasionally talked shop on the phone about bait building. They would trade secrets, techniques and best practices. One thing Wes would NOT tell Ed was the type of foil he used. Apparently for some time Ed was unhappy with the quality of his foil and couldn’t figure out what Wes used, but was an admirer of the quality of his foils.

Well, one day, Ed called Wes about something and Wes’ wife answered. Ed asked if Wes was home and she responded, “No, he ran out to the florist to get some foil, can I take a message?”. Ed didn’t leave a message.

Just thought I would share.

Someone commented that Ed then sent Wes a ack of worms as a “Thanks You,” which Wes kept and loved to show to people when he told this story.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    He made some awesome cranks that have tied on every trip to the Ohio river.

4. Member
    A true Legend. RIP Wes.