fuel vent lines clog up with gas

I have a 1995 Rajun Cajun and the gas vents always get blocked by gas when I fill the tank to full. The vent is in the splash well. Anybody have a fix to prevent this. I have to blow air into the tank to clear the vents in order to fill the tank. If I don't do this I have to trickle the gas into the tank and it takes for ever to fill.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

That issue has been discussed several times in the past with these boats. The deck, fuel filler and vents (mine has two in the splashwell) are too low - or the tank is so tall, that the hoses have very little pitch to them. In some cases, the filler hose may actually dip down, making it a PITA to fill the tank. Likewise with the vent hoses if they have any dips or are lower than the tank.
    Possible fixes:
    • Redo vent lines to remove all low spots - hoses and vents need to be higher than tank.
    • Redo fill line to make as straight a run downhill into tank as possible (someone moved their filler up higher on the gunwale and solved their fill problems IIRC).
    • Remove vent covers when filling (mine pop off) - eliminates restriction when filling. I stumbled upon this when I found mud-daubers had plugged up my vent caps!
    • Replace the existing filler with one that has a built in vent (re-route vent line from splashwell to higher filler location).
    • Re-rout new vent to highest location possible. Might mean drilling a new hole in uppermost area of the gunnel you can find.

3. Member
    just got back from Eagle River WI and saw your reply. My friend cut one of the vent lines and put a Tee with a cap like they used to use for antifreeze fluid in the older cars. A small hose connects to the tee to blow the line clear. Thanks for the reply I think I';; try the new filler with vent, that should be a better fix.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubatelco View Post
    I have a 1995 Rajun Cajun and the gas vents always get blocked by gas when I fill the tank to full. The vent is in the splash well. Anybody have a fix to prevent this. I have to blow air into the tank to clear the vents in order to fill the tank. If I don't do this I have to trickle the gas into the tank and it takes for ever to fill.
    West Marine sells a In Line Gas Vent that was quick and easy to install and really works well for me. Wasn't quite $10.00 if I remember right...( rare)