Thread: New Compressor

New Compressor

Well,

Took my 2013 250 ProXS to the shop last week and found out I needed a new compressor. The engine has 205 hours on it and I'm not real happy about it as I ended up spending 2K for the labor plus parts. My last Optimax (2003) lasted 1000+ hours before giving up the ghost. I figured 2k was cheaper than 20k+ for a new motor. I knew it was going to be an issue since I've been reading all of the problems with the compressors. Rant over

2. Member
    keep yo screen clean so it dont run so hot, remedy over
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Negative sir, screen cleaned on a regular basis. Respectfully, this issue is with Mercury and the compressor design they use. I'm not the only one who has had this issue.

4. Member
    I had a reed plate break a reed at 680 hrs. Pump piston/cylinder all good.

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Mine went out around 250 hours and I kept my screen cleaned.

6. Member
    It's a maintenance item, it's not designed to go the life of the motor. I'm changing mine out this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    It's a maintenance item, it's not designed to go the life of the motor. I'm changing mine out this winter.
    If you're talking about the compressor, I wouldn't call that a maintenance item. If you're talking about cleaning the strainer you're correct.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    Yes, I am talking about the compressor. It's like a fuel pump, every X years you replace it before it fails while offshore. That's maintenance to me....but I get and respect your point.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 09-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.

9. Member
    I've owned Optimax motors since 1999 and NEVER had a compressor failure, let alone changing one as a maintenance item.

The compressor is an expensive item to just change for the hell of it.

10. Member
    keeping it cool will help extend the life of compressor, yes i know early ones had some vendor issues with poor grade metal in cranks , although i know of at least 2 with over 1200 hrs on them ,im AMAZED
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    Yes, I am talking about the compressor. It's like a fuel pump, every X years you replace it before it fails while offshore. That's maintenance to me....but I get and respect your point.
    Sorry- going to disagree with you on that one, based on extensive experience. Have seen several that did this and destroyed multiple Direct Injectors when a "new" compressor failed (exactly what they were attempting to avoid... all while their perfectly good original compressor sat on a shelf in the garage). Despite a lot of internet "hype" on the topic, I have seen no significant difference in the durability or lifespan of any of the compressors used since July 2002 (with the exception of some reed failures that were covered under a Service Bulletin).

NCdud: If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Had a 2010 225 hp pro xs, it went through 3 air compressors in 550 hrs. It happens!

13. Member
    Mine is over 12 years old and still has original compressor.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    I ate a dirt dabber and rebuilt mine, worked like a charm
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    Would rebuilding the original be a better option than replacing with a new compressor? I've got a 2005 opti pro xs with what I assume is the original compressor (several owners). While researching a low voltage issue I came across a lot of threads about compressor problems. Now I'm paranoid and think I can hear some faint chirping. I'll start my own thread when I can get some video and hopefully audio.

16. Member
    What you don't read in these forums are the thousands and thousands of satisfied Optimax owners whose engines have never had a compressor failure.

IF I ever have a compressor failure I will replace it with the most current spec'd compressor.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte23 View Post
    Would rebuilding the original be a better option than replacing with a new compressor? I've got a 2005 opti pro xs with what I assume is the original compressor (several owners). While researching a low voltage issue I came across a lot of threads about compressor problems. Now I'm paranoid and think I can hear some faint chirping. I'll start my own thread when I can get some video and hopefully audio.
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to open your own SEPARATE thread for your engine.

Mercury does not offer "rebuild parts" for these compressors. There is an aftermarket company that does, however, I am a bit skeptical since some of the parts were changed/different in different part numbers/series of compressors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor