G1 250HO GHLSCS rattling noise in mid-section

I was on the lake this weekend, running through some pretty heavy weeds, and got a temp warning. I shut down, cleared the prop, and continued on, with temps staying in the 140 degree range when running on plane in clean water. The motor seemed to have normal power and top end.

When I got home, I noticed that the water inlets, both on the font and sides of the lower unit, were pretty clogged with weed particles. I cleaned and flushed. When starting the engine with a water hose connected to the pee connection, I noticed a "rattling" noise coming from the mid-section of the motor. This wasn't noticeable in the water, but it was clearly noticeable on dry ground. Is it normal? I'm going to change the impeller and housing out, but wondered if there's anything else I should be looking at. Thanks in advance.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Possible bad gasket on the exhaust horn.

Drop the lower unit and start it . When mine had a noise like that it the power head was blown up Still ran fine Could barely hear a noise in the water . Rattler like crazy out of water
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS