New Lowrance user, need some networking help

Just bought a new to me ranger boat that had 2 hds 7 Gen3s, 1 at the bow, and 1 at the console. I replaced the one at the console with an hds live 7. My transducers are a glassed in pd-wbl connected to ch1 on the live unit with an adapter cable, a xcdr ss hd connected to the live unit, and a generic 83/200 from the trolling motor connected to the bow unit. Not sure I've got all the networking set right.

The console unit is named cons and the bow unit is named bow. Ch1 on cons is named thruhull, and ch2 is named transom. On the bow ch1 is named bow.

When I go to network -> data sources at the console, Here's what I see under depth:
    HDS3-7 sonar (bow)
    HDS live-7 sonar ch2 transom
    HDS live-7 sonar ch1 thruhull

and then an aft depth section that has HDS LIve-7 sonar ch1 thruhull listed.

First question is around this screen: What is the checkbox for next to each data source? Secondly, what is the aft depth section used for?

Now the part that really puzzles me. On both units, on my 2d sonar screen, I have 3 sources listed: thruhull, transom, and bow. The question I have is why is transom listed, as that is my down and side imaging only, or at least I thought it was. When I select it, the sonar screen does how it looks from the shootthru, but it will still read bottom. Where is that coming from as I thought the SS HD only had side and down imaging?

Second question: on the bow unit, when I select structure, the only choices I have are this unit, or shootthru, not transom like I would expect. Why is it not there? Secondly, on the console unit, on structure sources I see this unit or bow. Why is bow showing up when it has no transducer for structure?

And lastly, how do I see the built in charts on the hds live at the console at the bow on my HDS gen3? They are not showing up. Under sources at the bow the only choices I have are lowrance and navionics.

Thanks for the education.

2. Member
    1. You can pull depth from a StructureScan transducer. Most people don't but it is an option
    2. Do you have both units connected by Ethernet? It sounds like you only have them connected to a NMEA network. Structure data is only shared over Ethernet. Depth data (which is not the same as the sonar image) can be shared over NMEA.
    3. See #2. Maps off chips are shared over Ethernet.

FYI, Ethernet is typically a grey cable with orange connectors and goes to one of the orange Network ports.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    thanks for the reply.

There is an ethernet cable hooked up to each unit. Where the cable goes I have no idea, but I have to assume they are connected. Matter of fact, when I the gen 3 unit on the console with chips in it, I could see them at the bow, so I know they are networked via ethernet. Does it have anything to do with the fact that maps are not on sd cards, but built into the hds live?

4. Member
    Oh, yeah. Internal maps won't share. Never have
    2B112175

5. Member
    Any idea why I wouldn't see the structure on the bow unit?

6. Member
    First, I'm not clear if you are in the Data Sources Menu or on the Structure page. When at the bow, if you select Structure, then look at the menu to the right the sources should be This Unit and Console. It will not say transom because the data is coming from the console unit. Once that is clear, we can address potential Ethernet issues.

If you set a waypoint at the console does it automatically and immediately sync to the bow? If yes, then nothing wrong with Ethernet and I have no idea why you aren't seeing Structure at the bow from the console unit. If no, then bad Ethernet cable.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    Thanks Nocal. I'll do some troubleshooting when I get home from work later today.

Just to verify, on the back of the live unit, blue is for ch1 and black channel 2, correct?

8. Member
    That is correct. But don’t get too caught up with that. In your case channels don’t matter since you only have 1 2D sonar source connected. You should think of them as Sonar (blue) and Structure (black). You could even turn Channel 2 off since you are not using it for sonar. Structure will still work even if the channel is turned off. I would suggest you do that actually. Channels only pertain to 2D sonar. Also, if you can find it by searching, I did a lengthy post describing the functions of the channels. You might find it interesting
    2B112175

9. Member
    Found another thread where the user was claiming that this is a known issue with networking. Here's the text :

"The issue I believe you are describing has been active with Multi Sourcing for a bit. The issue is that any CH2 Structure or DownScan source is always broadcast as the name of the CH1 source. So since you renamed the CH1 source to "Puck", that displays as the source when using SideScan."

This would explain why the source says thruhull, but when I select it I still get structure.