Thread: OX66 will

Question OX66 will

hey all,

I have a 1999 OX66 200HP
    it unfortunately sat for about a year in garage. was out on lake starts, (roughly) trying to get on plan, but the motor bogs and will not rev higher
    overheat alarm goes off (warm to hot water peeing out) and will not get on plane
    the primer ball was not as had when checked after idling for a while
    we changed the fuel filer at a local auto parts store. same bogging motor
    I would really appreciate and tips and help.
    will try to DYI before looking for a repair shop.
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Overheat or low oil both have same alarm I'm pretty sure. Also not getting on plane may be limp mode from no oil.

Check the motor mounted oil reservoir. If it is full then check to make sure the float is working. There is a switch on it that should run the pump.

Check the water impeller, I've heard they can rot and break apart.

Check your vst tank and HP pump filter to see if there is debris in there.

When you open the vst tank look at the gas that is in there, does it look oil mixed?

The alarm is the concerning, but identifying feature. Sat for a year and bad gas and rotted fuel lines won't throw an alarm. Makes it easier to diagnose.

Thanks for the help.
    have a couple of days off next week. will check on the float (the oil reservoir is 3/4 full. Also, I checked on the pee stream, it was very warm.
    I was hoping that it's something simple but plan to change the plugs, fuel pumps, and thermostat (I replaced the pop-it valve last month)

4. Member
    The only things that trigger the alarm ,as far as I know, are the oil reservoir being low (or stuck float), and overheat. The peeing water should be pretty warm under almost all running conditions.

Thermostats is a good one to check if you can idle but not get on plane. The little rascals are supposed to open up once the water reaches a certain temp, and then allow more water through the jackets.

Those are probably the easiest DIY that you can do. Thermostats take 5 minutes, plugs take 5 minutes (18foot pounds), LP pumps take 30mins.

5. Member
    You can test the thermostats in a pan of boiling water to see if they are opening. Anytime I replace thermostats i test them in pot of water just to make sure they are functioning.