Lifting eye / Adapter

What lifting eye and/or adapter do I need to remove my 175 ProXS Fourstroke?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Depends on what you are lifting with. A synthetic choker long enough and thin enough to loop between the two eyes and rated for the weight does the job. If you are using a engine hoist, will want to make sure the choker is not so long you will run out of travel to lift it. Spreader bar would likely work as well, but the hooks would likely mar the lifting eyes and make them less pleasing to look at.

Engine hoist

4. Member
    Still applies. Don’t overthink it. If you’ve ever pulled a motor from a car with an engine hoist, you have the “mental” tools to lift this outboard with the lifting eyes provided. With that said, if you’re second guessing the job or don’t feel comfortable doing it, bring it to a certified mechanic/shop.

5. Member
    I purchased the lifting adapter and ring from Marine Tech tools, used a lifting strap and engine hoist to pick up and mount my 150, worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfisher View Post
    Still applies. Don’t overthink it. If you’ve ever pulled a motor from a car with an engine hoist, you have the “mental” tools to lift this outboard with the lifting eyes provided. With that said, if you’re second guessing the job or don’t feel comfortable doing it, bring it to a certified mechanic/shop.
    I've pulled multiple outboards to install jack plates, which is what I'll be doing this go round.

I haven't removed the cowling from my motor yet, but based on your comments, there are already lifting eyes attached to the motor. Is this correct?

In the past, I've always used a lifting eye, mounted to the flywheel.

7. Member
    Has a lifting eyes on the top, port and starboard side of the engine.

8. mikesxpress
    It will much easier on this one with the lifting eyes as you don't fool around with attaching to the flywheel.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfisher View Post
    Has a lifting eyes on the top, port and starboard side of the engine.
    +1

A lifting SLING (with at least two web straps of equal lengths, equipped with hooks that fit the lifting points) is used.

Mercury offers a 3-point lifting sling (only two of the straps are used for this engine model).

NOTE: The traditional flywheel lifting eye WILL FIT this engine. DO NOT attempt to lift the engine via this method.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor