loss of power - need help

so, while fishing a tournament on Saturday, i hit a floating tree (fog was terrible). i have a 2008 Yamaha Vmax series 2, 200 hp. i let off the gas and looked at lower unit. Nothing noticeably wrong so continued on. Fished all day with no issues. on way to the way in, my speed dropped from 65mph to 50mph. so i shut her down and looked at everything. no lights or buzzers came on so i started her back up. She barely got on plane and my top speed was 47mph all the way back to the landing. she was shaking, and knocking bad, sounded like she was about to explode! i checked the oil in the foot on Sunday morning and looks like milk. i also found some small metal shavings and wood in the vents at the foot. So, does anyone have any ideas, need a new lower unit or does it sound like i dropped a cylinder? supposed to take it to the shop tomorrow. im stressing, if its a lower unit, its covered by ins. but if its the top end, ins wont cover that.

2. Member
    I would suspect that it is the lower unit.

3. Member
    You probably wrecked your lower dude.

A hard enough impact on the lower will cause alignment issues with the drive shaft. I suspect you probably chewed up the gears.

4. Member
    thanks guys. already called the repair shop and they have a brand new lower for a 250 that they say will work on my 200. So taking it to them tomorrow.