Question GMC Trailer TPMS Question

Have a new 2021 GMC AT4 tow vehicle, and added the optional TPMS for my 2008 Z20 Ranger Trailer dual axle. They always work great until I get down the road about 5 miles or more, and then I get a fault and they no longer show me the pressure and temperature. On the way home from the lake, same thing. And this continues each trip. When they fault they simply say service the trailer TPMS...

Any ideas why, and what I can do?
    ciao,
    Marc

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    From some RV forums, it appears GM put the transceiver behind the license plate on at least some vehicles which greatly limits their range. Some have modified it to have an external antenna, but many people abandon it and go with aftermarket. Not just the limited range, but the max pressure is too low for heavier trailers and the stems are the wrong size. My guess is if you check out some GM forums you’ll find a solution to your problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Good idea, thanks.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    Have a new 2021 GMC AT4 tow vehicle, and added the optional TPMS for my 2008 Z20 Ranger Trailer dual axle. They always work great until I get down the road about 5 miles or more, and then I get a fault and they no longer show me the pressure and temperature. On the way home from the lake, same thing. And this continues each trip. When they fault they simply say service the trailer TPMS...

Do the sensors eventually read again and it is an intermittent operation or do they stay off for the entire trip?

On my 2020 Silverado and towing two different boat trailers with their sensors installed, the best I can say is it is a very quirky intermittent system at best.

Sometimes fine, sometimes one or two tire sensors drop out on the display.

No rhyme or reason to the quirks

As CatFan has mentioned, one of the sites you can check out is GM-Trucks.com.

They have some threads with the problem and some modifications guys have tried, but most just live with it or go to an aftermarket system for reliability, if they tow long miles, like travel trailers.

Good Luck

5. Member
    It happens every trip, and once it goes out it stays out. All four TPMS go out at the same time and I get the Service TPMS System warning.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    It happens every trip, and once it goes out it stays out. All four TPMS go out at the same time and I get the Service TPMS System warning.
    Marc

I never had all four drop out at one time .

Since all four drop out together, I would expect something in common, such as the system itself or maybe a bad/loose connection at the sensor module behind the license plate.

My experiences are more intermittent and may have one or two drop out for 10-30 minutes, but then they come back on line and register a pressure and temp.

Weird thing, it is always the front axle tires or two spare tires that drop out intermittently, not the greater distance rear axle tires.

I am starting to think there may be a comparative value in the system for temperature sensed as it is really odd when both of the spare tires (closest to bumper module) drop out when on the road.

They are definitely cooler than the other four tires when running.

I know you can set a pressure for a low pressure warning but have not found anything for the temps.

I have thought about switching tires around to test if it may be the sensors themselves, but got lazy and said screw it.

When all the sensors are functional (85%of time), I can see the temp/pressure differences on the sunny side of the rig and between road tires and spares, so they are fairly accurate, albeit intermittent for no reason that I have found so far.

I still carry my dial pressure gauge and use the IR thermal temp gun on the tires/hubs at gas stops.

Old habits die hard I guess.

Good Luck

7. Member
    I drove again to another lake taking surface streets the entire way (first time not having to take the freeway). Never dropped the readings going or coming back from the lake. Maybe it is freeway speeds that cause me to drop the signal?
    ciao,
    Marc

hmmm, Havent had any issues with mine
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    hmmm, Havent had any issues with mine
    Me either!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

10. Member
    I have them on my single axle trailer, this happened to me 1 time, then it came back on and have had no problem since.
    2022 1875 Lund Renegade XS
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

11. Member
    I called the dealership where I bought the new AT4 and sensors, and they suggested I bring in the rig and have them "reprogrammed". Doubt it will fix the issue since all four always quit working the same time and stay off until the next trip, but that is the first step in a process....
    ciao,
    Marc

If I could insert a question here, please. My 2010 Silverado indicates the pressure in each individual tire. If I added sensors in my single axle trailer tires, how would it read out on the dash?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    If I could insert a question here, please. My 2010 Silverado indicates the pressure in each individual tire. If I added sensors in my single axle trailer tires, how would it read out on the dash?
    The trailer tire sensors are picked up with the trailer tow package and read in an app in the center infotainment display, not the dash DIC display.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    The trailer tire sensors are picked up with the trailer tow package and read in an app in the center infotainment display, not the dash DIC display.
    Thanks...looks like I'm not equipped for it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Thanks...looks like I'm not equipped for it.
    there are aftermarket kits for it that adds like a gps screen inside to show the data. Gm started it in the 19+ new body trucks
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

16. Moderator
    Take it to the dealer. Had a similar problem and they found a bad ground behind my gas tank.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Take it to the dealer. Had a similar problem and they found a bad ground behind my gas tank.
    Thank you for your response...I bet that is what is going on in my case since they all drop at the same time.
    ciao,
    Marc