Early 90s evinrude

Looking for opinions on the early model evinrudes. I am looking at a 90 model stratos with a 200 evinrude. Was wondering if any of you all were familiar with these engines and could share good or bad? Thanks in advance. BTW it is a 201 pro with an 91 evinrude
    Last edited by Hawk1275; 09-12-2021 at 10:07 PM.

2. Member
    ask in the evinrude section below also??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I would be more worried about the boat than the motor. Strong motor for the day and the boats were great too but made of wood and rotted pretty easily.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    So that you have said that, they had the flooring and carpet recently replaced at a shop. I asked about the wood in the hull and they said they replaced what was needed. Replaced due to some soft spots in the floor. Be worried? Or just check as best as can and make a decision? They put new marine grade wood and said put some type of coating on the wood then new carpet.

5. Member
    With a boat that year it would be normal Floor soft and spots repaired. I will say with the age of the boat odds are that is not the only spot that could develop soft spots in the future. Use a small tip screwdriver and poke on the wood in the battery box. They are fast boats. Stratos and Omc did not do a great job of sealing the wood. Couple that with polyester resin it does not help longevity.
    If you feel soft spots in battery box then the wood is comprimised and the flotation foam inside is saturated with water. I would be concerned if they replaced the flotation foam when they repaired the floor. Was the soft spot concentrated near the floor drain it where a hot foot was mounted?

use a rubber mallet and tap on the transom in different places. listen for solid vs hollow sounds. the transoms and stringers are generally the issue as floors can be replaced easily.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Is it a 200 XP? Or something else?