Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new 2021 bird

Well I just got back from an ABA on onieda lake (I won and got Phoenix money) and the Bassmaster northern open on the st Lawrence river (came in 13th) and finally had a minute to post about my new boat. I had a pretty pimped out 2016 721 that I’ve loved for the past 5 years and in March 2021 I ordered this one from wiedas marine. My main reason was motor warranty as my 2016 was up in may 2021. The new boat arrived late may at wiedas but I didn’t pick it up until July 7th due to tournaments and not really having time. Plus we were waiting on many items to ship in. I really wanted to wait on posting this boat until I really got it dialed in. So far I have over 100 hours on the new pro xs. My old pro xs had over 1600 hours so I have a lot of time behind the wheel. This new pro xs is insane. The performance is out of control. The only thing that compares to my old 2 stroke is speed at top end and gas consumption. Everything else this motor is head and shoulders better.

The colors, I went with an extremely similar color to my last boat as I really still love the combo. But this time I went with a gel rig except the pins. I went with carbon, dark charcoal, dark gray, white and steel pins and bow wings. I think this rig looks even better than my last. Once again I went with white poles and a black bobs jack plate. Seats I went with charcoal. White and thunder.

Options on the boat and trailer all provided by wiedas or Phoenix. First in the boat from the back. I put 5 degree bobs machine wedges between the motor and plate for extra bow lift. I went with a 12” bobs action black jack plate, my last one was a 10” setback but went with 12 on this boat. dual 10ft blades. I have 5 lithiums I provided from my last boat. I added the power pole charge. The wiedas marine power harness made up with 8 sets of 10 gauge wire for dedicated power to all 5 units, The livescope, the 360, and 1 spare for a Lowrance power cable at the console. I added the Phoenix upgraded wire harness. I added a Mercury smartcraft and the dual dash shroud with a bobs gauge. I added the sonic hub. Structure scan 3D. Padded cooler lid and front deck. Heated seats. Center tackle storage system slider. Lowrance ghost. Hydro wave. Slam latch center console. Humminbird 360. Trol lok for the ghost. I provided all the electronics and mounts for the boat as I swapped my graphs from my old boat to this one. The trailer has the rampage wheel package. Shocks on the trailer. Paint over gatorhyde. I added a big Fulton winch and I just added gator backs as well. I have to still install rigid deck lights and blue water strip lights in the compartments as well as vt2 livewell vents. Which I will do this winter more than likely.

Performance on the new boat I’m looking at 5900-6,000 rpm running a 24 fury stock at 73 mph. Best I’ve seen is my worked 25 fury 5900 rpm 76.5 mph but I just threw the blade on that prop so I’m back to the 24 fury with a 26 fury as a spare. I still need to try the 26 fury on this motor just to see what it does.

Issues I’ve had with the boat since I got it. This boat IMO is built better than my 2016. Everything from Phoenix was top notch down to every detail. I had the pleasure to spend 2 days at wiedas marine rigging the boat exactly the way I wanted it. I appreciate Sean and the rigging team allowing me to assist with everything as I’m knowledgeable with about everything on the boat and how I like it. I spent a lot of time working on my 2016 so I knew exactly how I needed everything so I would have 0 issues. Everything in this boat was thought out and corrected from my 2016 boat and it worked out perfectly. I have had 0 issues with Phoenix installed items and 0 issues with wiedas installed items. I did have a power pole charge fail in early august after 4 weeks of use. Power pole sent me a new charge within a few days and I swapped it out. The new one has worked fine for the past 3 weeks since i put it in. This charger is a finicky deal and I was aware of many issues that have been coming up. I have 5 spare banks of dual pro chargers that I used for the time during my charge fail. So if you own one I would suggest having a back up as this is happening a lot. Next I just had my fly wheel on the pro xs fail and it ate the belt during the fail. I’m being told this is a very common issue and believe it or not heard of 3 guys in the past week having the same issue. It happened during the bassmaster open practice and within 2 hours I was fixed at the Mercury trailer and back at it. So those are the problems so far with the boat. I believe I have spent about 10 days on Lake Ontario with this boat since I got it and 3 of those days were very rough plus my normal use on lake Champlain so it’s been through some crap to say the least already.

my thoughts on the boat and options are as follows. The ghost is a fantastic machine. This trolling motor is better than the ultrex in every way. I am a huge fan so far. The way wiedas and I installed my graph mounts is perfection for this boat. Everything is through bolted and I have absolutely 0 worry about stuff coming loose. The center tackle storage slider is awesome. I use it as a day box and I absolutely love it. The rampage wheels with shocks on the trailer tow 10x better than a 14” tire without shocks. It’s absolutely night and day towing compared to my old boat. Gator backs I just added them. The boat loads on the trailer so much smoother and easier than carpet bunks. It’s a must have on the trailer. It took me 6 hours to remove the carpet and staples and install the gator backs. Lithium batteries and the power harness we installed has been flawless. I have 0 power issues with 225 ah of lithium on full days daylight to dark.

Finally my week on the st Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. I went from the ABA on onieda to Ontario. I had spent 1 day on the lake on Wednesday as I knew the wind was going to be brutal for the practice period later that week after onieda. So Thursday and Friday I went to onieda for practice and then tournament Saturday. Back to Ontario Saturday night and didn’t even go out Sunday it was so bad. Monday I spent the day in the river as we had 6ft waves on the lake and I mean real 6ft waves with 25 mph wind. Tuesday I had broke down so I got on the water at 10am and spent 3 hours in the River. I then ran out to the lake for 6 hours to eliminate water about 25 miles from the river. I didn’t check anything I planned on running during the event. I spend about 2-4 days a month ontario so I know it pretty well especially the deep fishing so practice time on the lake wasn’t as big of a deal to me as I knew what I needed to run and the areas I needed to be in. Wednesday we had a massive wind again and kept me in the far upper end of the river just checking some things mainly trying to learn more about the upper River. Both day 1 and day 2 of the event we had decent wind that allowed us to get on the lake. Each day we did have 3-4ft waves at times of the day but it was fishable. Running 14-25mph most of the time during the event. I ended up in 11th after day 1 with 23-12lbs and finished the event in 13th with a 21-3lb bag that 2nd day anchored by a 5-12. First bite I had of the event was a 5-10 so that really got the ball rolling. I had some great shots on day 1 from the photographer with bassmaster as well. I caught 2 over 5lbs while he was on me. It was a good event but I had the bites to fish the final day but that’s how it goes. I stay at the bridge view motel when I go to Ontario which is where a lot of the pros stay as well. I was able to hang with Cory and Chris Johnston all week as well as their friend cal climpson. Cal actually lives next door to Cory and they finished 1st and 2nd. After the final day they brought Cooper gallant over as he is tight with the guys and lives just 20 minutes down the road from them. Cooper ended up finishing 4th and Chris came in 7th all out of 184 boats. I can say those boys are extremely fun to hang out with and are absolute savages when it comes to catching smallmouth. I had fished against them in the past on Champlain and made some top 10s with them so they knew of me but we haven’t spent much time talking until this week. I’m somewhat Canadian since I live just 20 miles from the boarder and played hockey so I fit right in with them. I have seen the bait Cory and Chris are working on and it is real and it’s going to be the next big thing in smallmouth fishing no doubt.
    Last edited by haus9393; 09-14-2021 at 05:10 PM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Nice write up. Congrats on the good finishes, and the new boat, love my 721! Where do i get one of them sweet center tackle storage trays??

3. Member
    Killer looking boat and nice write up. If you took that old school Troll Tamer off the 721, let me buy that off you
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I was sending my best Karma to you sorry it didn't work out. But, great finish either way and good luck in the future. Thanks for the details on the new rig your setup is solid. When I go lithium I'm probably going to commit the Merc 4 stroke sin on cranking battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    Nice write up. Congrats on the good finishes, and the new boat, love my 721! Where do i get one of them sweet center tackle storage trays??
    Im sure phoenix can sell you the system

MLF Invitationals Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    Killer looking boat and nice write up. If you took that old school Troll Tamer off the 721, let me buy that off you
    I still have the old boat in the yard, im keeping that troll tamer on it for now lol, that part should be worth about $1,000. Its like the max scent worms of boat accessories.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Im sure phoenix can sell you the system
    Cool, wasnt sure if that was a phoenix item or aftermarket, thx

8. Member
    Great review! My 2022 721 arrives in about 2-3 weeks. I got most of the same upgrades you did, even similar colors. I have never seen a boat with carbon on it, looks good and glad I got it. I think I’m most excited about the sliding tray, you definitely reassured me it was a good choice.

2F4F65C9-C400-4D19-964B-82EC1DDF89EE.jpeg
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

9. Member
    What mount is that for the 360? I have a force and am wanting to add one.

10. Member
    Nice write up and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Beandip View Post
    What mount is that for the 360? I have a force and am wanting to add one.
    Boat logix makes it for the Ghost. Not sure about what to use for the force.

MLF Invitationals Angler

12. Member
    Great write up. We spent 2 weeks this summer on the St. Lawrence, amazing place to say the least. I love my 721, and I think if I ever get another boat, it will probably be another 721.

13. Member
    Good looking color package �� Also, is that a 47” Ghost?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    Good looking color package �� Also, is that a 47” Ghost?
    Yes

MLF Invitationals Angler

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Yes
    curious why you didn’t opt for a 52”? After going from a 45” Ultrex to a 52” Ghost it’s been great while fishing in the rough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    curious why you didn’t opt for a 52”? After going from a 45” Ultrex to a 52” Ghost it’s been great while fishing in the rough stuff.
    Just clumsier IMO. I’ve used the 52” on other boats and I’m just not a fan of it when stowing and deploying is all. I feel that’s when it’s clumsy. Sure there are days it would be nice to have it but 90% of the time I don’t need that extra and even when it is absolutely rolling and my trolling motor comes out I still haven’t had a time I couldn’t still hold on spot lock. Legit 5-6ft waves (not the 3-4ft waves people say are 6ft) is about the biggest water I’ve been in while fishing and it was only in the water literally 50% of the time but still held me.

MLF Invitationals Angler

17. Member
    Nice write up awesome looking rig!
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

18. Member
    Awesome boat. Did you notice any differences right away from the 10in jackplate on your last boat to the 12in on this one?

Very nice Brett and congrats on the strong finishes up there. I'll be curious to see how you like those motor wedges, I've never had any issues with bow lift but I also run a 4 blade Fury. Did you put a wedge under your Ghost for better 2D? I'm going to run my PHX 21 for another year and will probably keep the setup similar (SHO and Ultrex since I run all HB). I went back to a 48" shaft too - seems like the hydraulics are designed for them and the longer shafts take a lot more effort to raise and lower - in addition to crowding your rod handles when stowed. Also waiting on MK's new 5 bank charger which I'm excited about - I run a similar battery setup with two 125ah's house batteries and 3 100ah for TM. Where do you keep your spare prop secured?
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

In the compartment behind my driver seat. I used epoxy and screwed it in as well. My original install I just screwed it in and the entire holder ripped out after like 2 weeks. So then I used a bunch of epoxy and coated the bottom of it and it’s been pretty good with the epoxy.

I had a guy message me weeks ago because his boat was having issues getting full trim. He asked me about my wedges and what not. He went with 2 degree one wedges and his boat gained like 3-4 mph because of it. I utilize my wedges for sure. I’ll top it out and bump it down about to bumps and she rips.

do not have a wedge under my trolling motor. Not seeing any issue with the 2d. When I’m spot locked on top of a bass and the trolling motor does a 360 rotation the fish does not disappear and come back. On my ultrex I had it off alittle and would notice it was off when I would spot lock so fish would disappear and come back or fade away and come back depending on what way my trolling motor faced.

as far as 10” vs 12” plate. It’s really difficult since they aren’t on the same boat. It might be a 721 but it’s a 2016 pre changes 721 with a 2 stroke. Vs a 2021 4 stroke.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast